My Re-Found Love of Ibanez's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Re-Found Love of Ibanez's

Well I finally sat my ass down and put back my first guitar i ever purchased. It is a 1987 540P, just like the one Satch has on the cover of the album, accept mine is BLACk and his is white. If you want to see a pic, here is my old white one that i am trying to get back now http://www.jcguitars.com/ibzrgwht1.JPG

I broke the original neck on the black one and that is why it got taken apart in the first place, and then many years i did not have a neck till the wonderfull world of ebay when i got one for under $125 (ibanez wanted $400 for a replacement.)

These guitars have an alder body and not the typical basswood, so it still sounds great (i like way basswood sounds too) On Mine i only have the bridge pickup hooked up since i pretty much ripped all the wiring out a long time ago and i need to figure out how to redo the whole thing. Them damn 3 switches, plus it has a splitting Tone Pot just throws me off and i will figure it out when i have time to sit down more.

Anyway to make it short, I put in a X2N and the guitar just rips, I have all original pickups and wiring and the pickups are the IBZ's which are dimarzio's but i prefer the X2N. The X2N is hooked up to the volume and tone part but not set up to split right now.

i forgot how much i love them super wizard necks, so thin, i just have so much control over it. Hopefully JC will sell me back my guitar for the same price my friend used it for on the trade in. Basically my friend gave me $350 for the guitar that JC put towards a Alex PII, he has had it listed on his site for almost 2 years now at $600, so i guess no one is interested.

I will keep you all updated, plus i have mountains RG570 Coming in. I now regret selling all my ibanez's, i had rg550 that was blue with blue mirror pickguard, i had a USA custom with reverse headstock and snake skin graphic. I also had a weird RG that was white/black pickguard, with the sharks/lightning bolts on the frets, basically looked like a RG550 accept with a rosewood board with the sharks.

Anyway after all these years i am re-finding my love for these guitars, i get just as much sustain and cruch as i do from my les pauls do to the very high output pickup, but i dont break my back doing it.

Re: My Re-Found Love of Ibanez\'s

I hear ya...lately I'm on a Ibanez 'Prestige' kick (which is why the RG570 became 'expendable'!), recently getting RG3120, RGT3120, RGA121, SZ2020, JEM 7D, RG520QS.

Comment

Ibanez player here too bro. I love em.

Comment

I love my RG550s.

I have three.

This one here's my favorite, a 1992 RG550DX.

I also got a nice Desert Yellow 1990 model, and a Black rosewooded 1987 model.

They rip. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, stupid question...what is the model w/o a pickguard, and sharktooth inlays the same color as the body??

Comment

RG770DX's had CLEAR pickguards, but matching colored sharktooths on a maple board.

(regular) RG770's were HSH, no pickguard, but rosewood boards with white sharkies.

RG565's were H-X-S and had a reversed headstock, and some had matching color dot inlays on a maple board. Other RG565's had rosewood with white sharkies.

Comment

I must be thinking of the RG770DX....my guitar instructor had one (it's been a LONG time since I seen him), but I always thought it was great guitar.

Comment

I love everything about Ibanez except one thing that i grew away from over the years. I have owned 6 units, including 2 prestige's. My hand hates the thin neck, I cramp up way too easily after a short period. Doesnt happen on my wolfgang neck. The day Warmoth announces they will do Ibanez compatible necks is the day I throw a party!!!!

Comment

I'm with ya. I was a reluctant convert, but I fell in love with the neck on my 7VWH, and my collection is now more Ibanez than any other brand.

Comment

I've got an Ibanez RGT3120 on it's way! Thanks a million to Brad(Thrust). I've owned one in the past and had to sell her and had regretted it but now I'm back in the Ibanez fold!
                    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I love my RG550s.

I have three.

This one here's my favorite, a 1992 RG550DX.

I also got a nice Desert Yellow 1990 model, and a Black rosewooded 1987 model.

They rip. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be the same RG550 i had, only difference is my pickup covers were not blue, did you change the pickups out?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I love everything about Ibanez except one thing that i grew away from over the years. I have owned 6 units, including 2 prestige's. My hand hates the thin neck, I cramp up way too easily after a short period. Doesnt happen on my wolfgang neck. The day Warmoth announces they will do Ibanez compatible necks is the day I throw a party!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have big hands? Usually people with bigger hands have the most problems with those small necks. I personaly have small hands, i know alot of woman with longer fingers then mine! So for me the small neck helps me and i dont cramp at all.

Weird you say that, because most people loved Ibanez's for the neck, i remember the Ibanez Rep telling me the reason there replacment necks cost so much (1991 they wanted $400) was because people were buying the necks to put on other guitar bodies. I know alot of people in the 80 that would take Ibanez necks and put them on bodies that were alder or mahogany. Weird that you like everything about the RG's except the neck.

Comment

There are tons of people who hate Ibanez necks, including me. They are so thin that I can't have a good strong grip, and because of the thinness the tone loss is HUGE for my ears.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm not fond of them myself, but I would like to get an orange RG like my sister used to have. I played it quite a bit, and it was a cool guitar. I'm not sure exactly what model it was. She bought it new back around 1987 or 88. It was bright orange, with a black pickguard, and sharktooth inlays. I look on ebay every once in a while, but have never seen one like this. I'm pretty sure the neck and headstock had white binding too, and the pickups weren't black, they were dark grey.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              There are tons of people who hate Ibanez necks, including me. They are so thin that I can't have a good strong grip, and because of the thinness the tone loss is HUGE for my ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of my Ibanez's have thin necks. My RBM1 is more like a John Suhr Strat profile which is similar to a soft C Fender. My 1989 S540 also has a soft C profile. They aren't thin at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X