My Re-Found Love of Ibanez's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Re-Found Love of Ibanez\'s

This is my JS 90th guitar that i havnt played for years!Photo's taken about 3/4 years ago at my last house.

The fred pups in it sound superb,lack of fret markers is also very cool(like the parkers)

Comment

The Ibanez shredder guitars have never been known for a particularly "big" tone--record a track on one and double it with a Jackson using the same amp settings and you'll see what I mean. The Ibanez always sounds thinner and more two-dimensional somehow. That said, you can say the same thing about most Jacksons in comparison to a Les Paul. All of those guitars have their places, though. For a big crushing rhythm tone, a Les Paul kills. But for a singing, legato lead, an Ibanez is pretty damn cool. Right now, I have an RG7621 7-string, and I can do Holdsworth-style legato on it all day and get a beautiful sound. But it totally sucks ass as a rhythm guitar--no punch or 'balls' on the muted power chords, with no 'snap', either. One nice thing about Jackson Soloists is that they give you some of both worlds, though that also sorta means that they don't excel in either.

Comment

Well, I love Ibanez guitars. I may have started with Charvel and Jackson, but I've ended up at Ibanez. My first Ibanez was a Japanese Talman and that started the madness. I went back and forth from Jackson PC-3's and PC-1's to Ibanez Jems and Prestige models. With all that being said, I currently have zero Ibanez guitars... haha. I'm working on scoring an Ibanez right now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The Ibanez shredder guitars have never been known for a particularly "big" tone--record a track on one and double it with a Jackson using the same amp settings and you'll see what I mean. The Ibanez always sounds thinner and more two-dimensional somehow. That said, you can say the same thing about most Jacksons in comparison to a Les Paul. All of those guitars have their places, though. For a big crushing rhythm tone, a Les Paul kills. But for a singing, legato lead, an Ibanez is pretty damn cool. Right now, I have an RG7621 7-string, and I can do Holdsworth-style legato on it all day and get a beautiful sound. But it totally sucks ass as a rhythm guitar--no punch or 'balls' on the muted power chords, with no 'snap', either. One nice thing about Jackson Soloists is that they give you some of both worlds, though that also sorta means that they don't excel in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will have to stop by and hear the rythem i get from my ibanez, will defintly shock you.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

That would be the same RG550 i had, only difference is my pickup covers were not blue, did you change the pickups out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

The V7 was pretty cool, the V8 sucked ass. The S1 was noisy.

so, now its got some Dimarzio PAF Pros in the neck and bridge, and a HS-2 wired for single coil tones in the middle.

That, and a cliplock strap, and a couple stickers, and thats my RG550. Its actually the heaviest RG550 Ive ever come across. Its got a slightly thicker body than my 1987 and 1990 models (which both feel and weigh the same) but the blue one is a BEAST. Its got something special, and sounds killer.

I hear lots of people saying they dont like them here. Its only expected, being a Charvel/Jackson board and all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I actually like the sound of them. My maple boards have a nice snap to them, especially with DiAddario strings. The Basswood body with the Edge and Lo-pro Edge tremolos makes an EXTREMELY clear, glassy tone. The PAF pro's enhance this quality. Also, when you wack the strings, or "flick" them, the make the tremolo warble a little bit for a very satisfying "twang" (sounds amazing on my Laney Pro Tube)

I can see how they're not for everyone. But, Im a Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai fan, and thats the style of music I like to play, and thats what my RG550's do PERFECTLY. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Joining the budman on this one

So i just purchased another one of these 540P's, i tell you this are hands down some of the best Ibanez's from that Era, alder body, dimarzio pickups, great trem and great craftmanship. So here is my new pink guitar. http://community.webshots.com/album/548066892uYDsFv

Comment

Re: Joining the budman on this one

My very first real electric guitar is my 87 RG560... had to get a maple board though, so it was special ordered with an RG550 neck.
                I need to put new PUP's in it.. the originals are long gone, but I still love playing it.
                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                X