Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I tried the new Mexican Fender Strat today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I tried the new Mexican Fender Strat today...

It was one of the new Electron blue models. The finish was actually very nice. The guitar's resonance didn't impress me, but it wasn't bad either. Where it really shined was the playing comfort. This wasn't a Squier folks... The neck felt GREAT. No sharp frets, no glue on the fret slots like I had seen very often in MIMs before. The rosewood was very dark and had a nice grain to it, the maple very light and it too looked beautiful.
    I played her through a Fender Hot Rod DeVille and the bridge pickup was VERY bright, but not harsh as they can be. The neck pickup and especially position 4 sounded amazing for sweeps and leads, and that was with a CLEAN tone!! Distorted, the pickups had a little more output than on the old one I THINK (don't take my word for it) but not by a whole lot.
    The nut was set WAY too high as usual. But the guitar felt VERY comfortable to play, with a decent action which allowed acrobatics. Fingerpicking wasn't hard either. The neck has a sweet feel to it. It was thin ish, but Strat like.
    THIS ladies and gents, to me, felt like THE perfect blend of old and new for a Strat. She sounded like a strat, played like a super strat, and is the same price as the old ones.
    I'm truly amazed and I mean this. It doesn't happen very often.
    Ah also, in positions 1 3 and 5 the noise level is kept fairly low for single coils. The shielding works well it seems!
    I can't comment too much on the frets as it had been a loooong time since I played the old style Strats though, sorry guys. But I'm sure some of you will know that.
    Another thing: Sustain was decent, but not impressive. If it were me, I'd lower the nut myself, use .10s or .11s and give her a more thorough setup. But even as it was, it was 100% playable, and well.

Re: So I tried the new Mexican Fender Strat today.

I had one the very first time they came out ('89 I think). There were some Squires that were USA made and this was one of the few.

I have heard they were only made in the USA for about 6 months or so. Anyway, they were only $129 at the time and a steal for what you got.

Yeah cheap parts, not sheilded properly etc... But for $129 you could not beat it.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Fenders from all countries are so wildly inconsistent--I've found that you really have to play a bunch at a time to find the truly good one. Not in terms of build quality so much, but one that has the right resonance properties.

Comment

I think the Mexican made strats are an incredible bang for the buck. I just wish the frets were bigger as I hate itty bitty frets.

Comment

The new ones just like the one I tried today have medium jumbo frets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The new ones just like the one I tried today have medium jumbo frets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Medium jumbos eh, very cool.

Comment

i have a new electron blue MIM fat strat myself. i love the color, and the neck, very nice. great bang for the buck

Comment

Did I miss something from NAMM? I hadn't heard of a "new" MIM Strat? Did they change some things? Are they still $369?
                I will say, I have played the Jimmie Vaughan Strat (MIM) and have to say it may be the best bang for the buck Strat made, period. Although, if they have added medium jumbo frets to the regular MIM, you just need pickups and you're set.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I bought my MIM new in 01', great guitar. I thought the saddles were kinda sharp so I put in Graph Techs, I sanded most of the finish off the fretboard, added a Dimarzio Breed and changed the plastic to black. Great neck but does need bigger frets, I'm thinking of having this one scalloped. You may have seen this already:

Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Bought a new MIM Fender w/floyd a year ago. Must say though from the factory it was setup pretty bad, three strings buzzed. Not setup to pull up on the floyd. But with a couple of hours of setup it plays great! But Fender could spend a lil more time setting up before shipping out?

Comment

i like that strat esp with that scratch plate...how do the fender floyds hold up?

i think the mexican models are great...my mexican tele sounded better than every other tele i tried in the shop even the higher american models...in fact i didn't like the feel of the american models esp the strats compared to the standard series...its like they've tweaked the standard too much and kinda lost the feel of what a strat tele should play/sound like

Comment

So, I know nothing about Fender MIMs. Is that the only place they are made these days? Are any made in Japan still? Or, are all lower-priced Fenders made in Mexico now?

This thread has raised my interest.

What models are MIM?

Comment

basically all the standard series..a few deluxe ones... highway 1 up is made in america...any japanese made ones are japan only i think these days...

Comment

I have an early 90's MIM with a maple neck and a full set of Duckbuckers. Its one of my favorite guitars.

Comment

Wish they had the extra fret [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X