Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VH2 Bumblebee body?

soap,
    If you get the body with the boogie rout it is different that the EVH art series body. The art series has the San Dimas rout. Which one are you trying to make?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]

I know you work for Jackson, and you have a justified and vested interest in preserving your company's products. However, many guys who would like a B&Y can't afford, or don't want an Art Series...and would prefer to make one themselves.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I know some guys can't afford the Charvel EVH and by making a mutt, they get a close facsimile.

It sounded to me like Soap wants an exact replica. My point was, how can Wayne make an exact replica, if he didn't make the original body in the first place?? Can he come close from the pics? Yes, I'm sure he can.

I have an original San Dimas B&Y striped Charvel. It was used to make templates for the current Charvel bodies, so we know they are vintage correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, man..are you serious? Do you honestly think that WAYNE CHARVEL cannot get a period correct body shape for Soap? He may have sold the company to Grover before the B&Y was made, but I am sure he has a few period correct guitars at his disposal for making a correct body.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with Mike here in the sense that if you watch the videos of Michael and Wayne Charvel on their website, Mike specifically mentions the fact that the template they use to cut and rout their Strat-style bodies is the same template that Wayne used to make EVH's original guitar bodies. Check out the www.wayneguitars.com
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Wonder when will we be hearing news that Wayne Charvel cannot make make or sell those EVH guitar bodies. [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Going for the "boogie" recessed rear route job.

Neck stuff:
          I don't plan to have the back of the neck painted black, head stock maybe, but not sure as of yet.
          I don't like the feel of painted necks, so that option is ruled out.
          Not sure if I'll go with a wolfgang or C shape profile, leaning towrad wolfgang. I've played one and honestly I like the wolfgang feel. Obvious, it will have a skunk sripe on the back thats for sure.
          I'll do Ebay for the Charvel (black and Gold ones) decals.
          More later, gotta run.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Wonder when will we be hearing news that Wayne Charvel cannot make make or sell those EVH guitar bodies. [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine Wayne will be hearing it before us. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The strat body style is the property of FMIC and theirs to protect if they so choose.
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

JCMktgGuy – are you saying that Grover and company made an entirely new body shape/contours for the Black/Yellow? I would have assumed they would have used an existing body/contour template that had been there since Wayne was around, the only difference being they flipped the top-load strat route around to the backside.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't say that Grover and Co made a new template for the EVH guitar. To clarify, Grover and Co did make templates and cut guitar bodies in house to make Charvel guitars in general. This was a first for Charvel. Prior to Grover owning the company, no bodies or necks were cut by Wayne. Bodies and necks were purchased by Charvel from Linn Ellsworth (Boogie Bodies) and Ken Warmoth, then painted and assembled into guitars. The original B&Y striped Charvel was cut on these "new" templates and jigs created by Grover and Co. The in-house built Charvel bodies and necks vary to differing degrees from the pre-Grover bodies and necks. For example, the famous San Dimas neck feel came about after Grover and Co took over.

Like I said before, I'm sure Wayne is capable of making a close facsimile.

[ QUOTE ]
              Also, it's a bit suspect that you contend that Jackson is the only company that has the expertise to build the black/yellow correctly when you guys didn't even get the stripes right on the black/yellows or the black/whites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't "contend" this.

EVH approved the striping patterns on the Charvel EVH Art Series models. Keep in mind, we hand stripe these, so there are going to be small variations here and there. Again, all approved by EVH.

Striping a guitar isn't rocket science. My original point was that we are the only manufacturer licensed to produce these striped guitars legally for sale.

Comment

Just to point out didnt Eddie actually do the Stripe jobs on the charvel art series?

Charvel just painted them and made them the actual taping was done by Ed was it not...?

Ozz be sureto update us on your project!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I agree with Mike here in the sense that if you watch the videos of Michael and Wayne Charvel on their website, Mike specifically mentions the fact that the template they use to cut and rout their Strat-style bodies is the same template that Wayne used to make EVH's original guitar bodies. Check out the www.wayneguitars.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you guys are missing my point. Wayne CAN make a close facsimile. But again, Wayne Charvel did not own or work for Charvel when the B&Y was built. Therefore, how could he have the "same" template??

The template you see in that video was made from copying an original Charvel body (I know this because I sent Wayne MY Charvel body for use in doing this before I came to work at FMIC).

It is definitely not THE template used to cut the original B&Y - we have those templates.

I hope that clarifies things!!!

Comment

BTW, there is plenty of debate as to whether Wayne ever made necks and bodies before the company was sold. These topics have been beaten to death, especially on other boards, but there is no 100% clear cut answer as to whether Wayne made bodies, or strictly relied on bodies made by Lynn. However, most agree that Wayne showed Lynn how to make bodies and necks. I have heard the Warmoth connectio before as well, but that has been debunked as far as I know.

There is a large contention of people who claim and back up the argument that WAYNE built the body that Eddie bought as a second for the VH1 B&W, the neck being made by Lynn.

Look, there may be some very minute differences between what Wayne and Mike will cut for Soap, and what you guys at Fender are cutting for the Art Series. However, the difference, if any, is going to be minimal. Plus, it is going to have the Boogie route (even though the true Boogie route is different) and therein lies, in my opinion, what makes it cool and unique.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Just to point out didnt Eddie actually do the Stripe jobs on the charvel art series?

Charvel just painted them and made them the actual taping was done by Ed was it not...?

Ozz be sureto update us on your project!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Eddie striped some very limited edition guitars that were played live, and then auctioned on E-Bay.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        BTW, there is plenty of debate as to whether Wayne ever made necks and bodies before the company was sold. These topics have been beaten to death, especially on other boards, but there is no 100% clear cut answer as to whether Wayne made bodies, or strictly relied on bodies made by Lynn. However, most agree that Wayne showed Lynn how to make bodies and necks. I have heard the Warmoth connectio before as well, but that has been debunked as far as I know.

There is a large contention of people who claim and back up the argument that WAYNE built the body that Eddie bought as a second for the VH1 B&W, the neck being made by Lynn.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt that there is "controversy" over the history of who built what and when. I'm friends with Wayne and Michael and I respect them a great deal. It gives me no pleasure to de-bunk the myths, but I have information straight from the employees who were there at the time. I have the unique pleasure of being able to go to lunch with Mike Eldred, Steve Stern, Tood Krauss, Tim Wilson, and Mike Shannon. The historical information I get from them, that I posted above, was not twisted or changed to make us look good or for marketing purposes. I put it on here because I know it's the plain, simple, truth. Those guys have no reason to feed me a bunch of BS - nor do I have any reason to BS you guys. Kev, Todd, and the rest of the Admins know that ethically, I will not feed you (or anyone else) a line of BS about this historical information.

The fact is, many years ago, there were assumptions made about who made what and when with the Charvel brand. Some people chose not to confirm or deny those assumptions and eventually, many people came to believe it as fact. All I'm doing is setting the record straight, with no malice intended to anyone involved.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. However, I feel it's important that the true facts and history to be heard, rather than continue the myths that have abounded for years.

Thanks!

Comment

People prefer to believe in myths, legends, and "mojo". Facts are boring. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            People prefer to believe in myths, legends, and "mojo". Facts are boring. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...true!!

Don't confuse me with the facts!! I've already made up my mind!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah! hey, while we're at it, lets talk about all those Vs that were sitting at the jackson shop, waiting for randy to come get them.

my only advice for ya soap is to use rattle can paint (schwinn bike paint if ya can find it) and don't worry about making it look good; the real ones sure as hell didn't.

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The real B&Y was clear-coated, so didn't look too bad. The real Frankenstein is truly "homemade" - no top coat and battle scarred.

Soap, I know that with your determination, you'll make it look great. Have fun and don't get too frustrated painting it!!! All I can say is...sanding and buffing ain't no fun!!!! LOL

Sully, you know what I mean!!

Comment

Working...
                                X