VH2 Bumblebee body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VH2 Bumblebee body?

Remember to post pics of the painting and assembling process!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The real B&Y was clear-coated, so didn't look too bad. The real Frankenstein is truly "homemade" - no top coat and battle scarred.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, there ya go. i'm not an evh fanboy so i'm goin off of very vauge memories of articles read 20 years ago. good times!

[ QUOTE ]
      Soap, I know that with your determination, you'll make it look great. Have fun and don't get too frustrated painting it!!! All I can say is...sanding and buffing ain't no fun!!!! LOL

Sully, you know what I mean!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it chews penguin foreskin. vigorously.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Oh, how I wish I could relate

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't say that Grover and Co made a new template for the EVH guitar. To clarify, Grover and Co did make templates and cut guitar bodies in house to make Charvel guitars in general. This was a first for Charvel. Prior to Grover owning the company, no bodies or necks were cut by Wayne. Bodies and necks were purchased by Charvel from Linn Ellsworth (Boogie Bodies) and Ken Warmoth, then painted and assembled into guitars. The original B&Y striped Charvel was cut on these "new" templates and jigs created by Grover and Co. The in-house built Charvel bodies and necks vary to differing degrees from the pre-Grover bodies and necks. For example, the famous San Dimas neck feel came about after Grover and Co took over.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you for this info. you guys should do a run where everything is 100% accurate down to tone knob, cavity route, stripe pattern, etc. I'd much rather pay $8k for that than that Gibson Hendrix V (Not that I'd actually spend $8k for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Comment

OK, I am not trying to bust anyone's balls here, but I just re-read this paragraph 22 times and am super confused. If there is one thing I am interested in, it is trying to figure out the origins of the B/Y. JCMktgGuy, you have the unique opportunity of knowing most everyone involved presonally as well as actually working for Charvel, so hopefully you can help me out. Going back and forth like this sucks, but unfortunately we don't have the luxury of talking face to face.

[ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't say that Grover and Co made a new template for the EVH guitar. To clarify, Grover and Co did make templates and cut guitar bodies in house to make Charvel guitars in general. This was a first for Charvel. Prior to Grover owning the company, no bodies or necks were cut by Wayne. Bodies and necks were purchased by Charvel from Linn Ellsworth (Boogie Bodies) and Ken Warmoth, then painted and assembled into guitars. The original B&Y striped Charvel was cut on these "new" templates and jigs created by Grover and Co. The in-house built Charvel bodies and necks vary to differing degrees from the pre-Grover bodies and necks. For example, the famous San Dimas neck feel came about after Grover and Co took over.

[/ QUOTE ]

There has always been debate over what to call the style of route that appears on the back of the B/Y. Many call it the Boogie Bodies route. Calling something Boogie Bodies means Ellsworth and Warmoth made it, right? So if Grover came in and made new templates as soon as he bought the company and from that point forward started making bodies in-house rather than buying from Ellsworth/Warmoth, then the style of route on the B/Y is truly Charvel's (the company, not the man) and not Boogie Bodies at all, right?

So does every body I see with the B/Y-style rear cavity route originate from the Charvel shop or did Boogie Bodies copy the route and produce some too?

And then to clear up one last thing...you say that Wayne Charvel never cut a neck or body, always outsourcing from Ellsworth/Warmoth. But later you say "The in-house built Charvel bodies and necks vary to differing degrees from the pre-Grover bodies and necks". Does in-house mean the outsourced Ellsworth/Warmoth parts or does it mean that Grover and Co. made a few bodies/necks before creating and starting to use new templates?

Comment

FYI... That is a pre 78 body. Thought you should know. That body was made in the wayne era. The early route was discussed heavily on Charvel Central when it was the powerhouse of Early Charvel info. I own a 79, assembled in 80 Charvel with that route but a recessed cover. I have played 2 77/78 Charvels with the exact route as the VHII. These guitars are still owned by the original owner. The recess came later. Ed's is an old body

[ QUOTE ]
              Uhhh...news flash!! The Black and Yellow bumblebee was built by Grover, Mike Eldred, and Co....AFTER Wayne sold Charvel to Grover. Wayne's going to be hard pressed to build it to spec when he doesn't know the specs.

Please understand, I love Michael and Wayne Charvel. They are both wonderful guys and I respect both of them a great deal. However, there are many myths about the real history of Charvel. Hopefully this myth is now "busted".

[/ QUOTE ]
              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

my oldest Charvels.. these are post Wayne

79/80

78/79
                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Soap...big ass B/Y front pic:

PIC!

Comment

Ooooh yes, I love those nice cavity route shots they may prove helpful later on. Left click and save as, got em. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Nice pic of the front of the bumblebee, much appreciated, thanks.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I'm SO confused as to who built the VHI and who built the VHII.

[img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Comment

eddie uilt the vh1 using bosy and prts...the vh2 was made for him...but by who?

Comment

see JCMktgGuy's post for your answer.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

dude, you changed your name! oh the power you possess is truly frightening. lol
                            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

...so much for the admin witness protection program.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

those without the intellect I possess may not notice. post in Bill's thread and you'll be treated like a newbie.
                                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
                                X