B.C. Rich Handmades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.C. Rich Handmades

anyone here played on a b.c. rich handmade? they look sick. i really havent been able to find any info on them

Re: B.C. Rich Handmades

Yes. What specifically do you want to know?
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I've only had the pleasure of playing one handmade Rich so far, and it was a great guitar. I think it was a Bich model which I didn't care for much (shape), but it's contruction was top notch and played and sounded great. I hope to grab one later on, but it's so far down on my list of what to get it'll be awhile.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yes. What specifically do you want to know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess i would want to know how they stack up compared to a usa jackson in terms of playability, sound, and construction quality as well as how much they cost...ive been entertaining the idea of getting one, most likely an assasin/gunslinger body style, although i definately couldnt afford one right now

Comment

I take it these are 'new' issue.. would an MB-1 be considered a production guitar? I thought those were handmade due to the low numbers produced.

Comment

i dont know about the mb 1, i was refering to when you go to the bc rich site they have a link that says handcrafted guitars...i went to the gallery and they looked really nice and they are made with good components...i dont know if they are like custom made to order or they are a series like a usa jackson...

Comment

Those are pretty much custom made to order. I think they have set specs, and you upgrade what you want, but I'm not 100% sure on that because I've never looked into owning one. If it's a pretty much standard guitar your looking for, Jackson is the more cost effective way to go. If your looking for a full on custom with those shapes B.C. Rich is known for, the Handcrafted series is it. But even still, for a Gunslinger style body, even a custom Jackson might be a tad cheaper if the Rich has the same custom specs when all's said and done

Comment

I have 3 handmades: Widow, Beast, and KK Wartribe Warlock. They were all made in 2000-2001. Some people say anything after 1985 is shit, suspect, not built well, a gamble, great, perfect, excellent, etc.

Mine all play very well. The neck profiles are very similar with the Wartribe having the thickest neck. The Wartribe's inlays are sloppy like most of the Wartribes out there.

I don't have much experience with a ton of pre 1985 Rich's. From what I've seen, the finishes on those are pretty thin and there's often a lot of filler in the wood. I played one of the really really really old Seagulls and I didn't like anything about it. Smelled and looked old. Just didn't do anything for me.

I've played a killer Bich that Neal Moser owns and it's very cool.

One thing I can't stand about most BCR's is that they use toner, not stain on the woods. It colors the wood but doesn't bring out the grain like on a Carvin or PRS.

What many people don't know is many BCRs, even today, are/were built in Mexico by BC South. BCR doesn't admit this publicly (why, I have NO clue).

The recent handmades at NAMM played very very well. 2 years ago they played like total shit. WAY high action, imperfect fit and finish, etc.

If you're gonna buy one, try before you buy. It seems like they're getting their shit together.

I've found most of the Jacksons I've played to be very consistent in terms of quality. BCR has been passed around to various owners, each with differing degrees of competency. I lucked out on my guitars. I got them all off ebay without playing them first...actually, I played my Widow at NAMM.

Comment

cool man thats really helpfull

Comment

I'd agree with what's been said. I prefer the '85 and prior guitars. Yep, even love my '75 Seagull Jr. (contrary to what was said above), although some people don't like their neck profile - very similar to the old LPs. I have an '04 BCR Stealth and the action is nice and low, neck profile is similar to my '98 RR Select. I think the quality these days is pretty hit and miss. If you're not going to order one direct from the Custom-shop then make sure you play the guitar before you buy it and are happy. As for how BCRs compare to Jacksons. Well they're completely different animals IMHO. The BCRs always feel like they're hand-made. Especially the vintage stuff. As in no two are alike. Jacksons (well at least the Select stuff I know) feel more like production guitars and are pretty consistent. Just my experience. I love 'em both [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

yes....BCR's vary alot more than Jacksons. the newer ones ive had the chance of playing & working on were inconsistent. bad trussrods/necks, bridge problems, & fretworks that was OK at best. not what i would expect from a 2G custom. the older pre85 ones are much better quality but 99% of them have some sort of fit & finish flaw, but they were hand carved, not cut on machines. the necks on most of them are also fairly big round compared to jacksons, 50's LP round. around 82ish they start doing thinner profiles. also BCR nut sizes ranged from 1 9/16"- 1 3/4"+, combine that with handcarved necks & you can see the amount of varitation in neck profiles & feels. the post 94 BCRs are completely different, than prior to. even after the rico's got BCRich back they still werent the same probably because, Bernie & son's had little or nuthing to do with building.

Comment

Hey Sanctuary, I wasn't messin with your Seagull...I think it might have been Neal's. I just didn't like it but it was well build. Just didn't feel right in my hands. Maybe after a clean-up I would change my mind.

Comment

Yeah, I realise that man. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was just stating that there are some out there that play well.

Just curious if it was a Jr. or a Supreme?

Comment

I used to build them in the Class Axe days. The handmades we built there were genuine originals...however, as financial strain would dictate, our bolt-on's sold better...and lacked quality. There's nothing like the original mid-80's handmade BC bro...

As for the new wave of BC's...can't say for sure. Last one I owned was one of those NJ Series Neckthru Mockingbirds. Didn't care for it at all, and unloaded it quickly. Haven't tried any of the new handmades other than a buddies custom shop Bich Doubleneck.

Comment

Sanctuary, it might have been Seagull #2 that I played at Neals.

Comment

Working...
                              X