jackson jj1 vs godin lgx 2 voice review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackson jj1 vs godin lgx 2 voice review

i just got my korina jj1 and put it thru it's paces with my godin lgx.
    here is my inital impressions:

1. build construction:
    the jackson is a 22 fret maple/rosewood neck on a 2 piece korina body, 2 humbuckers, wrap around bridge and a 24.75 scale.

the godin is a 24 fret mahogony/ebony neck on a mahgony body and a flame maple top. 2 humbuckers, piezo bridge, string thru body and a 25.5 scale.

2. build quality:
    both guitars are of very high quality. the korina on the jackson was especially resonant.

3. playability/sound:
    the jj's neck is much chunkier than the godin's. the godin to me plays like a prs's wide thin neck. both guitars had very nice and low action. i find the shorter scale on the jj to be easier to play. the fret spacing on the jj is smaller and good for single note and power chords while the godin's larger fret space makes open chord playing easier. the longer scale on the godin makes open chords ring out more.

4. other features:
    the jackson is a straight up rock n roll machine, the 2 hum, 3 way switch does not offer much on the variety scale, but all 3 positions yielded good sounds.

the godin shines in this deptartment. the 2 humbuckers are wired to a 5 way switch. all 5 sounds are great, from single coil clean to full humbucker distortion sounds. plus the piezo adds more versatility. the piezo doesn;t sound great to my ears (non of them do imo) but it sounds every bit as good as a mid level ovation.

5. conclusion:
    i'm still undecided on which guitar is better, both have alot going for them and there is no clear pick.

on a value standpoint, since both guitars are similiarly priced on ebay, the godin lgx, with all it's features is a better deal (flame carved top, ebony fretboard, piezo) .

on a sound standpoint, the jj1 sounds more rock and roll compared to the godin, but lacks the versatility. the godin does more better, but for a real distorted tone, the jj1 is tough to beat.

I have a Godin and I was very impressed with the build quality for the price.

Comment

Working...
    X