Played a Trower Strat today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a Trower Strat today

My dealer finally got one of these in the Wine Burst color. I spent a couple hours this afternoon locked up in a practice room with it.

The custom shop certainly does a superb job on these axes. The attention to detail was nice to see.

The neck pocket was a super tight fit, not a bit of slop at all. Good job on the nut, it was perfect and didn't pinch the strings at all. The frets were super, great polish job on them with no rough edges at all. They made bending and vibrato so smooth, I had to look and make sure it was me doing the playing. They are using staggered pole locking tuning machines that are pretty cool. The frets are medium jumbos and felt fine to me. I loved the neck radius. The newer 12'' radius on the American models just never felt good to me. I prefer this at 7.25''. Weird, but it reminds me of my 70's strat which I loved. Light urethane coating and it felt fine traversing up and down the neck.

Nice job on the bridge as well, it was intonated properly (more thanks to the owner for the set up there) and stayed in tune great, although I am not a dive bomber. I always leave that to George Lynch.

The guitar passed the acoustic test, if you pick the high E and then mute it, the body continues to resonate. Plus it sounded great unplugged. Not Martin Acoustic great, but it still resonated well. Plugged it into a Blues Junior and a Marshall DSL. Great shimmering clean like you would expect from a strat and then sweet crunch. Playing lead thru the neck pup was a treat. Smooth and fat and creamy thru the Marshall.

I need to spend more time playing with the pups to decide if I like them. The neck and middle are custom wound and yield some great sounds. The bridge is a tex-mex and you could get great bluesy sounds from it, but I almost never use my bridge pup anymore. I certainly liked them more then the samarian pups on my american deluxe. In fact I didn't miss that S1 thingie at all.

I am going back in tomorrow morning to play thru my amp and give a closer listen to the pups. The rest of the axe is just sick. I love the looks, beautiful finish job. The sight of that fat headstock takes me back to when I 1st started playing in the mid 80's. I am taking my SG in tomorrow as well to compare the different tones between the two guitars. To see how difficult it will be going from one right to the other.

All in all a super cool guitar. I played a EJ strat after playing the Trower and personally didn't like it as much. It was a let down after hearing all the great reviews of it. I chalk it up to the neck radius more than anything else though. Other than that it was a great playing start, I just didn't like the feel of the neck. For me that's 90 percent.

chuck
    Last edited by Chasbo; 05-16-2006, 09:29 PM.
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Thanks for the review. You obviously were not doing the testing at a GC!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to score one of the "Tribute" versions of the Trower Strat. It is closer to the 74 specs than the model in production. It came with a commemortive DVD and a custom shop Fulltone DejaVibe. It is a smokin' good guitar. Just beautiful.

http://www.hackolutions.com/gear/cur...rowerstrat.htm
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

BTW, Chasbo - are you going to see Trower in June? I will be seeing him in Myrtle Beach at the HoB and in Springfield, VA at JAXX.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo
          The newer 12'' radius on the American models just never felt good to me. I prefer this at 7.25''.
          Since when do any of the newer models have a 12" radius? They're 9.5". The only one that has 12", I believe, is the EJ model. The SRV had 12, also.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
            BTW, Chasbo - are you going to see Trower in June? I will be seeing him in Myrtle Beach at the HoB and in Springfield, VA at JAXX.

I will be at thye Jaxx show with my wife man. I wouldn't miss this show for anything, he doesn't tour the US that often. Last time was in 2001 I think. How would you like to meet and do the shake hands thing? I'll buy you a round.

BTW, wasn't it you that posted a thread on your Trower strat when you got it? That was one of the master built ones wasn't it. I would have loved to score one of those, but this one will fit the bill nicely. I remember when they released that model with the EJ signature. I only had eyes for the Trower. I am glad they kept it as a CS model.

The neck is more like a 62 strat with medium jumbo frets. The pickups are killer thru my new amp. It is "the" strat sound I qam looking for. Fat and soulful thru the neck pup. It's a great matchup to the SG I just got. I gave the store 1500 clams to hold it for me.

chuck

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
              Since when do any of the newer models have a 12" radius? They're 9.5". The only one that has 12", I believe, is the EJ model. The SRV had 12, also.

Sorry, my bad. My American Deluxe has that 9.5'' radius too. I was comparing it more to the EJ sig that I played at the same time.

chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                Thanks for the review. You obviously were not doing the testing at a GC!
                My pleasure man, I won't go to GC. I have a great local shop with a knowledgable tech/owner that I trust. He always goes the extra mile to help me out like ordering this strat for me to try with no commitment to buy it. That's why he gets my buisness.

chuck

Comment

chasbo - are you shopping at chuck's? i got my trower tribute from brian meader over there.

i'd be glad to meet up at jaxx - i'll be the drooling long haired guitarist - shoot me an email and we can exchange contact info [email protected]

- Newc

Comment

Nope, I am getting it here in Hagerstown. At Ken's shop in town here. Will shoot you an e-mail man. I'm not long haired, but will probably be drooling too. My wife always brings me a small towel when we go to these concerts.

chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo
                      Nope, I am getting it here in Hagerstown. At Ken's shop in town here. Will shoot you an e-mail man. I'm not long haired, but will probably be drooling too. My wife always brings me a small towel when we go to these concerts.

chuck
                      holy shit you live in Hagerstown??

that's my old stompin grounds, bigtime.

I grew up in PA over the line in Shippensburg/Mercersburg area.

man I spent a lot of drunken high school nights in Hagerstown back when the grandfather law let younger people still get alchohol (early 80's). plus my first real girlfriend lived there and went to North High.

good times!

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                        holy shit you live in Hagerstown??

that's my old stompin grounds, bigtime.

I grew up in PA over the line in Shippensburg/Mercersburg area.

man I spent a lot of drunken high school nights in Hagerstown back when the grandfather law let younger people still get alchohol (early 80's). plus my first real girlfriend lived there and went to North High.

good times!

Right on dude! I am not a native to the area, but I like it here. Great places to ride (mtb) DC is close enough for shows like this one and some other fun stuff to do in the area. My son is going to North High next year. I'll drink a beer in your honor!

chuck

Comment

Working...
                        X