Les Paul or SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul or SG

I was wondering which of these guitars you would prefer and why, the Gibson Les Paul Studio or Gibson SG Standard.

I was wondering also how the Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany competed with these two guitars.

Les Paul for me
    Fatter darker tone...

but LP Custom...LP Studios have a maple top which makes them brighter.

The LP Vint Mahogany are pretty dark in comparison to both guitars. By dark...I mean a fatter rounder tone, less cutting and sharp.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I can't decide between a '57 Gold Top L.P. and a SG '61 Reissue! The SG is lighter and plays closer to the body and sits better on the knee while playing seated. The tones are very close if both have the same pickups. A tough decision I know and I can't afford both, although I do have a LPC to give me the LP if I decide on the SG.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

That should be an easy one for you then Bengal...go with the SG! Hands down man! It's a much brighter sounding guitar, and would compliment your LP's "darker side"

Comment

Sg - better fret access, lighter, very cool image

Comment

I've got an MF Vintage Mahogany model. I love it! I put in a set of EMGs... 85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck, TP6 fine-tuning tailpiece. It sounds awesome.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

LP '57 Goldtop. Still my best guitar.

I've had SL2HT, SLATQH, Fender Strat.

Waiting to see if my incoming PC1 will dislodge the '57 GT LP from the top.

Comment

The les paul is brighter sounding w/maple top, the SG is all mahogany & is darker fatter tone & much lighter, the std. has binding & is top line, the studio is a lower version of the paul std., no binding, sticker headstock, the SG is also all pearl headstock labeling. But their both GREAT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
                  LP '57 Goldtop. Still my best guitar.

I've had SL2HT, SLATQH, Fender Strat.

Waiting to see if my incoming PC1 will dislodge the '57 GT LP from the top.
                  The PC1 will bump it. Believe me! I have a Solar and waiting on the LTD PC1. It's by far my favorite electric
                  Sounds like I need an SG. I can sound just like Pete Townsend right? Or maybe Tony Iommi with a little tuning? or Angus if I plug straight into the Marshall with no effects!
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If I could only play one guitar for the rest of my life it would be my SG. Nuff said!!

Comment

SG.
                      You can't go wrong with a slab of mahogany and 2 humbuckers.
                      Although, if you can, go with the 61 reissue production run.
                      Better neck IMO.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

LP, but i'm a bit biased

Comment

Wow,
                          tough one. I would say SG with it's darker tone and fabulous fret access, but its hard to beat the fat thick tone of an LP. Between a studio LP though and a SG Standard I would go with the SG. Lead runs on an SG will give any dog a bone!

rock on dude, either is a kick ass axe.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

I prefer an LP's tone, but SG's are easier to play.

Comment

Chasbo, Is that a '61 Reissue? It's beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                              X