Les Paul or SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65
    Chasbo, Is that a '61 Reissue? It's beautiful!
    It's my SG/LP Historic. It's a custom shop version of the 61 Reissue. It plays as good as it looks. It's my favorite guitar.

chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Fantastic Chuck. Just an awesome looking SG! Now I have GAS for one of those! My '65 Junior is getting a lot of play time, but it needs a big brother.

Mark
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The tone of my SGs keep up easily with my Les Pauls. Very tough choice I'd say. I bought SGs first, then LPs, but the LPs have gotten played more than the SGs since I've had them.

Comment

I've never owned an SG, or SG copy...but I have some major GAS for a white one right now.......

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I've never played an SG that felt right to me. They have good high fret access, but the notes up there always seem to lack depth or sustain. By contrast, I've had a couple of Les Paul Customs over the years that were pure tonal heaven. It's true, though, that if you are looking for that really harsh and bright Angus sound, then you've got to go with the SG.

Comment

Go with the SG- my opinion is biased, though:

'82 SG Firebrand that I bought new. Still have the original pups, but I've had the EMGs (58/H) in there since '85 or so. Incredible guitar.

Comment

Ah, another one. I think my GAS is getting worse
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion
                  I've never played an SG that felt right to me. They have good high fret access, but the notes up there always seem to lack depth or sustain. By contrast, I've had a couple of Les Paul Customs over the years that were pure tonal heaven. It's true, though, that if you are looking for that really harsh and bright Angus sound, then you've got to go with the SG.
                  Well, man...I don't know. I don't think Angus is bright and harsh...Iommi certainly isn't either....and, of course, when Eric Johnson plays one he is pretty far from bright and/or harsh.....

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion
                    I have found that the LP has a brighter sound then the SG in general, although I always attributed that to the LP's maple top. I love the bright and fat tone that a custom gets, but I haven't had a problem getting upper frets on my SG to sound as fat. SG's sound darker, at least to me. I can't say as the SG sounds harsh either, certainly Angus doesn't sound harsh. He has a fat dark sound out of his rig. Depends on alot of things of course, but I have heard good and bad examples of both guitars.

chuck
                    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

The only LP Studios that are all mohagony are the faded and the gothics.
                      The others still have a maple top its just thinner than whats on a standard Paul. Well lest weight the options. Les Paul studio, Thick mohagony body with a mohagony cap. Sg think contoured mohagony body. LPS & the SG have the 50's neck. both have the same pups and hardware. The SG has the bighter tone due to its thinner body were as the LP is thicker darker and warmer. Some times sounds muddy with too much distortion> The SG cuts through a bit better but doest have the same tone and warmth of the Les Paul. But your playing dark metal, death metal or goth metal the All mohagony studio is killer.
                      Gil

Comment

What about one of those Supreme's? Has anybody played one? It's got that maple top. I wonder how close to a maple topped LP sound you can get with the SG Supreme? It would be interesting.

Comment

well, I am gonna add my .02 here. While I am not a fan of Gibsons. I know enough people that are to tell you if you are buying a new one, be very selective. Some friends of mine were a Gibby dealer and a large percentage of them were having major problems right out of the box..

so my answer is...
                          Viper or Eclipse (but thats ONLY because I sell em)
                          Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                            What about one of those Supreme's? Has anybody played one? It's got that maple top. I wonder how close to a maple topped LP sound you can get with the SG Supreme? It would be interesting.
                            There was a smokin' hot SG Supreme at Sam Ash in Hollywood. Great axe, but I ran out of time (9pm) so I couldn't play it much. I was punching it through a Silver Jubilee 1/2 stack. They had some great stuff, but at ??? prices.

I've have 6 Gibsons, all of which are awesome. That's not to say there might be some bad ones out there...but I guess I'm lucky? (3 from ebay, 3 from GC). I'd just not be able to settle for a 2nd best or an "almost a Gibson" I guess.
                            Last edited by DonP; 05-23-2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo
                              I have found that the LP has a brighter sound then the SG in general, although I always attributed that to the LP's maple top. I love the bright and fat tone that a custom gets, but I haven't had a problem getting upper frets on my SG to sound as fat. SG's sound darker, at least to me. I can't say as the SG sounds harsh either, certainly Angus doesn't sound harsh. He has a fat dark sound out of his rig. Depends on alot of things of course, but I have heard good and bad examples of both guitars.
                              SGs don't have quite as much top-end bite as a Les Paul, but they have next to no low mids, in my experience. I know Iommi gets a great chunka-chunka rhythm out of his SGs, but I've never been able to get that. They just sound really thin to me. As Jacksonfreak said, Les Pauls have so much low-mid that they can get muddy very easily. It's all a matter of preference.

Personally, I'll take a San Dimas Soloist over either SG or Les Paul anyday.

Comment

I don't know if you call an SG, say played by Angus to have lost highs or "top end bite". His tone is awesome and he just plugs straight into the Marshalls.

Comment

Working...
                                X