Les Paul or SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
    Well the only SG with the 57classic pups is the 62 reissue. everything else has either 2 490's Or a 500/496 assortment. The 62 reissue is the on ly thin necked SG (aside from the 62cutsom les paul SG)> everything else has the 50s fatter neck. By saying the Sg sounded thin earlier i didnt mean thin like a tele but thin in comparison to a Les Paul. They have less mass to them which results in a brighter tone with less bottom end and not as much mids. They do still sound warm in comparison to a strat or a Solist mode out of alder. But thats the mohagony's charactor. If you like thin necks go SG 62 reissue or a sLes Paul std 60s neck. The supreme is a great guitar. Its a carved maple top and back with sound chambers inthe body. It clean up really well and doesnt mud out as quickly as a custom does due to the chambers making it a bit brighter than a custom and giving it more bite. Plus the supremes have the same pups as the custom the 498/490. But you can get the triburst that has the 57 classics. Too many options and opinions get in the way sometimes. If ya havent decided yet just go play some and see which you like better.
    I have a !977 & 1986 SG Standard, both have the thin necks & PAF pat no. pickups when stock, which my 86 still is . I'm pretty sure the mid-70's to late 80's SG's were all thin necks.

Last edited by SGplayer; 07-30-2006, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I have an SG Supreme with '57 humbuckers. It plays like a dream and through a Fender amp, getting "Carlos tone" is as easy as falling off a log. Great guitar, gret fret access, and a whole lot lighter than a Paul. It plays NOTHING like my Les Paul Customs or Standards. Give one a whirl and then YOU decide what you need.
      "POOP"

Comment

I was referring to current production. And yes the 70's and 80's necks were differant than they are today. Norlan wanted to keep thing simple and as cost effective as possable. The neck on my 76 LP custom is thinner then the 50's neck and rounder than the 60's slim taper. The Supremes and the customs of current production are similar to that neck but a tad bit smaller. BTW check on the Gibson website I can only find three differant neck shapes between the SG std, The les pauls std, the custom the supreme, and the 61 reissue SG. Unless i missed something. Not shootin totally blind but i do sell these things well used too till about 4 months ago.
        Gil

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY
          I have an SG Supreme with '57 humbuckers. It plays like a dream and through a Fender amp, getting "Carlos tone" is as easy as falling off a log. Great guitar, gret fret access, and a whole lot lighter than a Paul. It plays NOTHING like my Les Paul Customs or Standards. Give one a whirl and then YOU decide what you need.
          I've been thinking of checking these Supreme's out also. They look real nice and I love playing SG's seated or standing up. They are well balanced and are comfortable. I want something a little easier to play than my LP's and still have that LP combination of woods.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i'll always take a les paul over an sg personally. i like the look and feel of a les paul more. both are great guitars though - you can't go wrong with either.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
              I've been thinking of checking these Supreme's out also. They look real nice and I love playing SG's seated or standing up. They are well balanced and are comfortable. I want something a little easier to play than my LP's and still have that LP combination of woods.
              Actually, the Supreme is not as balanced as it should be. With the large bound headstock and neck plus 24 frets, it's a little neck heavy. I've adjusted to the guitar because I damn sure didn't want to relocate the front strap pin on that nice of a guitar.
              "POOP"

Comment

LP anyday, I never really liked SGs, they don't look very cool IMO and for leads they sound sucky
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                  i'll always take a les paul over an sg personally. i like the look and feel of a les paul more. both are great guitars though - you can't go wrong with either.
                  The les paul is a better lead guitar, sometimes you want a darker tone guitar all mahogany (SG), you can always change your head for a better lead sound.

Comment

Working...
                  X