ESP LTD Lynch baritone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP LTD Lynch baritone

Just scored one of these (GL 600FB) on e-bay - haven't received it yet, so no comment or pics, but it seemed "a bargain" as I got it for £230 & there's one for sale fairly near to here (Portsmouth UK) for £949. Don't know if it comes with a case, but I'm assuming not - hope it's wrapped well! There's a couple of small chips in the front, but nothing hideously disfiguring. What's the going rate for these? I've seen reviews & it seems like a reasonable guitar (yeah, I know some out there don't like ESPs & certainly not LTDs, but hey!) - I wasn't really in the market for one of these, especially the LTD version, but it seemed too cheap to pass on it. I'm a sucker for bargains - why not spend £230 that I wasn't going to spend just because it looks like I'm saving £719? Anyone got one & can comment?
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

I'd say you've got a great deal here, and even if this guitar is a big pile of shit you can sell it for much more
    But I don't believe that you are going to be dissapointed especially for the price you paid, and also its a signature LTD so its higher end model I bet it plays pretty nice, mahogany body, maple set thru neck, SD pup in the bridge and 27" scale you can't go wrong with that

post pics when you get it...sound samples would be great too

Comment

Well, it arrived OK, though the carrier had soaked the package in something - the ink was running on the print of the box inside the inner wrapping & the only thing between the guitar & the box was a thin, porous dust sheet. No damage done, though. Looks good - the inlays are exceptionally well done. They look like MOP in the rosewood fingerboard, but don't know if it actually is MOP. Neck is nice - 27" scale, 22 big frets. Think the neck is a "set-in" maple job (the body is mahogany - although the whole guitar looks small & weighs much less than you'd expect) - it looks like a neck through, as the paint & laquer cover the join, which is smooth as you like. Access to top frets is ok, not SL2H good, but as good as most others. Finish is excellent. I'd guess the graphic is a transfer, rather than hand painted. The dings shown in the e-bay listing were much less visible than in the photo. P/Ups are a Seymour JB at the bridge & a Duncan Design twin rail affair for the neck - both sound pretty good to me. Hardware - tone pro bridge & Sperzel locking tuners. This seems like a quality axe - guess it didn't sell at a higher price because a) it's a baritone, b) it's a LTD & not an ESP & c) George L. isn't really that well known over here. I contacted the seller, who said he made a big loss on the auction - he reckoned the lack of info. on the web about these had an effect as well, as all the bids were low it didn't look like a "real" sale, and he hadn't set a reserve so it looked "dodgy". For me though, £230 well spent :-

I had to restring it - tried D'Addario XL157s without realising they were for a 29 3/4" scale baritone. I e-mailed ESP (UK) & got a reply with an hour or so with the correct gauges to use (13-17-26W-36-46-56) - I cobbled together something close from the D'Addarios & some spare Ernie Balls. It buzzes a bit, but sounds ok through an amp. The inlays are confusing though - more so than having nothing at all (PC1 style) as they draw the eye

Re sound samples - getting photos on here properly took long enough for me. Give me a year or two for sound as well (gives me some practice time as well) . I have it tuned with the same intervals as on a regular guitar - i.e. B-E-A-D-F#-B - & have just played a few things as if it was a standard. Obviously it's much bassier, but still well defined & harmonics come out really nicely (pinches), sustain is good & it "growls" well. Neck pickup is nicely rounded & seems pretty hot, so guess it's a single coil sized humbucker?

I admit I'm a bit of a snob, guitar-wise. I'd prefer US (UK would be nice, but.....) made, ESP would be good, but have shied away from Korean before now. If this hadn't seemed such a steal, I would have passed on it. As it is, it seems like a quality guitar to me, but guess the signature models may be better than standard ones. Certainly, I haven't seen this guitar for much lower than £950 over here (in a shop).

I'm rambling. Guitar is good. A keeper.

If anyone has any further info. on these guitars, I'd appeciate it!
      Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

Looks like you got a bargain.

What the heck is that V in the back of the pic? I've never seen one like that.
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70
          What the heck is that V in the back of the pic? I've never seen one like that.
          Gibson V2

Comment

dude.. I have one of these and I must say it kills. I have the Zakk wylde 10-60 strings on it and I tune it to drop A I would use heavier strings but they work for me... it works amazing for low tuned stuff and it is very comfortable to play. The extended range makes it a tad tough to reach the first and second frets if you are not used to it, but once you play it for a while that should not be a problem. My hand sits very well on the bridge and the stock JB sounds pretty good. I don't care for the duncan designed single coil... nor do I care for the finish. I may have the paint stripped and leave it natural with the black hardware. I thought I would get lost on the fretboard with that inlay but the side dots help.

I agree, the guitar is much more bassier than a normal guitar (it is a baritone after all) I like the extra tension and pinch harmonics sound great. The axe has a good bite to it. Makes me feel like a man playing it lol... not as manly as Zerb and his 75 gauge strings but still pretty good nonetheless.
            Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 06-02-2006, 06:15 PM.
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

Working...
            X