EBMM Petrucci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBMM Petrucci

I've been GASing for one of these for a while & have finally got what I think is a bargain - you've just gotta love e-bay. I couldn't/wouldn't splash for a shop-bought one (about £1250), but I'd saved for a bit & saw this one going cheapish on the 'bay - mine for £621, which is about the amount I'd saved by not buying clothes or running a new car, etc, etc. OK, OK, I've got a few guitars now, but I'm an almost obsessive, compulsive collector of general stuff & decided to put the compulsion into guitars (mainly signature models - am I a "fanboy"?). Anyhow, I'm rambling (it's the Grolsch) - meet EBMM Petrucci:-

Bog standard, no extras, plainest colour (Mmmmm, your blandest colour, please....although I do rather like it) - but an awesome guitar. Feels great - especially the neck & I really like the body cutaway which is instantly comfortable. Sounds good - although the Dimarzios do sound a little "buzzy", when using overdrive, to my untutored ears - less "rawk" than some Seymours I've got in an SL2H. Neck & bridge pickups seem fairly high output, but the mid position is a bit weak - an idiosyncrasy (sic.) of Mr Petrucci's, I'd guess. Nonetheless - EBMM make a quality guitar!
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

I have been tempted sooo many times by that guitar. Every time I try it it just feels right. If the right Mystic Dream (I believe that is the color name) comes along.... who knows.
    BTW, I tried the piezo version and just kicked ass and there is a 7-string too!

Anyway, congrats that is great looking axe!
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Awesome guitar! I've got one in red... BTW, the middle position switch is actually the 2 inner coils of the humbuckers, so it is best used for a clean sound.

Comment

Cheers guys - thanks for the info on the switch config. - I'd guessed it was something like that, but it's nice to have it confirmed!

Mystic dream is the colour (this one's red pearlburst or something) - I like that a lot, but this one seemed a bargain, so I just went for it instead of waiting - I'd have liked the Petrucci inlays, piezo & colour options, but at the end of the day, a great sounding & feeling guitar came first!

Comment

I have a Mystic Dream EBMM with matching headstock, piezo, JP inlays. It is a fantastic guitar as was mentioned above, the middle switch position uses the two inner coils on the pickups for clean sounds. Its a much higher quality guitar than the previous Ibanez signature guitars Petrucci had. Congrats on your EBMM JP!

Rudy
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

You guys stop it!!
            You are going to make me go and look for one. Might as well look for an apartment while I am at it. The 'ol lady is going to kick me and all of my fiddles out of the house.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

You'll be fine Joe-Steeler as long as she lets you have your Jacksons and EBMM Petrucci as your fiddles

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

NICE Petrucci! They have GREAT necks. What I really want to know though, is how does the Gibson V2 sound through that Boogie?

Comment

looks like a very nice guitar.. but.. the neck looks so thick! :O is it? how "friendly" is that neck? lol

anyhow.. very nice guitar, some one here said that the mid position is the 2 inner coils.. i like that. must sound awesome
                  If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak
                    some one here said that the mid position is the 2 inner coils.. i like that. must sound awesome
                    Yes, John's guitars are wired with a special DiMarzio toggle switch where you get the two inner coils on in the middle position, hum-cancelling. I bought that exact switch direct from DiMarzio and put it in my Carvin... I really love that position for clean sounds.
                    My Fender Double Fat Strat (two humbuckers) also has that configuration on position two of its five-way switch.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How do you wire a dual hum guitar to a 5 way? I'm getting a Schecter C-1 Classic that has a 5 way megaswitch which I'm going to want to wire up fully. Can't find much on that specific combo on the SD websites or the like, could you point me in the right direction? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic
                        NICE Petrucci! They have GREAT necks. What I really want to know though, is how does the Gibson V2 sound through that Boogie?
                        You know, I don't know! I've been neglecting the V2 a bit in recent years - it was my first "real" guitar, but then I got another axe with higher output pickups & that sound suited me much better. The boomerangs in the V2 are single coils, I think (although I suspect later ones may have been mini humbuckers - and some V2's have normal shaped humbuckers) - I've never been a fan of single coils, so stopped enjoying the V2. So I've never tried it through the Boogie - only through the old HH in the background, using an Ibanez Overdriver for dirt & sustain, and through a JCM800 using a Line 6 DM4. Using both of those, it was ok - and probably sounds pretty good for bluesy stuff - but I wanted more rawk! I'll give it some TLC & have a go soon!

Re MichaelLitvak - the EBMM necks are pretty much all friendly (though some find them a bit small) - this one's a little wider than an Axis neck & possibly slightly more shallow. Nonetheless, it's instantly comfortable - & nowhere near as big as a PC1.

Comment

Congrats on the guitar. It looks great. I've owned a couple EBMM Axis guitars, but I've never tried a EBMM Petrucci. I love have the Axis feels so I'm sure the Petrucci will be up to spec. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out and try one.

Comment

the jp guitars are my favorite guitars. i will be picking upa few here. but they will the fully loaded ones... mmmm mmm good

Comment

Working...
                            X