Epi Les Paul Gothic review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi Les Paul Gothic review

Several months ago my wife and I visited her family in Florida. Her cousin let me spend a couple of hours with his '78 and '03 Les Pauls. We had a blast and I couldn't get those guitars out of my head-even though the Paul has never been "metal" enough for me. They sounded great and played wonderfully-especially the '78.

Just the other day I was browsing on MF and I saw that the Gothic Epi Pauls were reduced to $299.00! I couldn't resist. They also sold me a Coffin flight case that fit perfectly.

Here's my review.

This guitar was made in Qingdao, China at the Gibson Qingdao plant and set up and inspected by Gibson/Epiphone in the US. Here they make only Epiphones. This plant was opened several years ago with the intent of having a higher quality and more consistent product. Let's see if they succeeded here...

The finish of the guitar is almost perfect. Does sport a nicely carved top. Guitar is heavy. Neck and body are supposed to be mahogany or one of it's family members. Weighs about 9 lbs! Checked it on my scale. One very minor dip in the finish is all that keeps it from a flawless score 8.5/10

The neck plays perfect. Frets are excellent. No sharp ends-although I did dremel them with some metal polish. But thats something I do on all guitars.
    Fretboard has no inlays which I dig save for a gothic XII at the 12th. Rosewood board is almost black. High quality and no complaints. 10/10

Hardware and electronics. Strap buttons look smallish. Has 2 Alnico V pickups. Bridge pickup polepieces are not exactly under the strings. Turns out it doesn't matter-you'll see. Tuners are Grovers-solid. Bridge and tailpiece seem high quality. 8/10

Guitar also came with a quality control checklist and full color owners manual!!! Hint hint Jackson!

Sound. Meat. Dense. Relentless. See for yourself

Whether in the form of loops, soundtracks, virtual instruments or entire songs, sophisticated content brings audio productions to a whole new level. Producer Planet offers a range of content and features to help you make the most from your projects.

I have wanted one of those for a long time to go with my Goth Explorer. Looking at pix on the web though, I couldn't tell if it was an archtop or not.

If you think it rips now, try a set of EMG's in it.

Comment

Sounds great....what amp are you using?

Comment

Looks great! But I only buy Gibson USA, you have to spend a lil more but you get top USA quality.

Comment

Originally posted by SGplayer
          Looks great! But I only buy Gibson USA, you have to spend a lil more but you get top USA quality.
          +1, but for $299, it's hard to go wrong. And it looks great hanging on the wall. A burst wouldn't quite look right...

In order to really give a "really" good review, you need to take this axe and compare it to the 1978 and 2003 side-by-side.
          Last edited by DonP; 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog
            Sounds great....what amp are you using?
            +1

Comment

Cheapo Randall RX120D half stack.

Forgot to mention it is a set neck in case anyone was wondering.

Next time I visit Fl, I'll compare the 3.
              Last edited by Widowmaker; 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Widowmaker
                Cheapo Randall RX120D half stack.

Forgot to mention it is a set neck in case anyone was wondering.

Next time I visit Fl, I'll compare the 3.
                Man, everytime I hear a so called Cheapo Randall solid state amp they are smokin in the tone department Are their solid state amps the bomb or what? Jack.

Comment

I've got two Epi's, A goth LP and an SG, and love em both!

Comment

thats a great score for the money. looks mint on the wall.
                    If you wake up in the morning, it's because Jack Bauer spared your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X