No announcement yet.

Les paul Custom Project Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one here always makes me want to have one... So... neat and all...
    And it's a project, too... great job on this one. I wouldn't have parted with it unless I needed the money real bad...

Comment

Oh, that's the sawn up dumpster guitar. Damn, that turned out nice eh?
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Don,

I sold it then got the option to buy it back at the same price, so 'nuff said!!! I was thinking of having the entire neck replaced. Any idea what that would cost? Think it would be much more than doing a refret, rebind and possibly new board with inlays?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker
          Don,

I sold it then got the option to buy it back at the same price, so 'nuff said!!! I was thinking of having the entire neck replaced. Any idea what that would cost? Think it would be much more than doing a refret, rebind and possibly new board with inlays?

Pete
          From what i understand getting a new neck on a set neck is very expensive, what is wrong with the fret markers and binding?

Comment

So i woke up with my back killing me, so i figured I would go get a scale and weigh it. Well it comes in at 10.7 pounds. Not to bad, but my back is use to my les paul custom lite which is 7.8 pounds or my 1968 reissue which is 9.4 pounds and sometimes that one is pushing it. I love the tone, but not sure if I will keep her if i have trouble playing her, plus i get great tone out of my other pauls.

I put some strap locks on today, tomorrow I am gonna check on the pickups when i restring it to see what is in it and to see if it has a maple cap or not. I am having fun doing the little restore though.
            Last edited by siggy14; 07-12-2006, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I gotta get me an old beat up Paul. I was cruising Ebay last night taking a look at what's available. It seems I could probably get a player for just over $1k. That's not too bad at all. I'll probably pick one up next year. Wine, black, or tobacco would be cool. Silverburst would kick ass, but you're not gonna get a silverburst for that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                I gotta get me an old beat up Paul. I was cruising Ebay last night taking a look at what's available. It seems I could probably get a player for just over $1k. That's not too bad at all. I'll probably pick one up next year. Wine, black, or tobacco would be cool. Silverburst would kick ass, but you're not gonna get a silverburst for that kind of money.
                You wont get any custom for around $1000, maybe a old beat up standard, but the customs still pull in good money.

Comment

Oh, I don't want a custom. Standard is the way to go for me. I don't like the binding on the back of the customs for some reason. I just watched an 80's tobaccy burst Standard go for $1,100, and it was in pretty nice shape.

At least once a year I get major gas for an LP. I guess it's about that time.

Comment

You should check out a Japanese ala Burny, Greco, Tokai from the 80's. They're major bang for the buck and the prices are starting to rise on them, which can make them kinda collectable too.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker
                      You should check out a Japanese ala Burny, Greco, Tokai from the 80's. They're major bang for the buck and the prices are starting to rise on them, which can make them kinda collectable too.
                      I have enough LP copies. It's time for a Gibson. The problem is, I've played a lot of newer ones in music stores, and some of them were downright shitty. I would really prefer to try before I buy, but that's not really an option. I'm certainly not paying the stupid prices around here for new LPs.

Comment

Sweet, don't do anything with it! Its absolutely perfect.

Comment

Pickup Information, updated pictures.

So i took off the strings and checked the pickups. Yes it does look to have a maple top. I put some more pictures up.

the neck pickup is Marked May 7 1980
                          The bridge Pickup is Marked Apr 23 1980

Both pickups have the same Pat No. 2737842

I am not sure which pickups these are, so i am doing some research, anyone have any idea?

Comment

They are the original stock Gibsons. Might be T-tops, mine are (1977) but I don't know what year the "T" disappeared off of the bobbins.

If you plug in a cable and take a DC reading, I bet you get around 7.5K on both pickups.

I'm a bit surprised you say this sounds like your other LP's (well I guess you didn't - you just said good tone but the others have good tone as well). My 1977 sounds totally different that my "50's correct" LP's. It doesn't have the warmth or fattness, but it has tons of bark and growl. Think Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak". Does GnR awesome as well.

And it's horrible for high gain metal.
                            Last edited by DonP; 07-14-2006, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                              They are the original stock Gibsons. Might be T-tops, mine are (1977) but I don't know what year the "T" disappeared off of the bobbins.

If you plug in a cable and take a DC reading, I bet you get around 7.5K on both pickups.

I'm a bit surprised you say this sounds like your other LP's (well I guess you didn't - you just said good tone but the others have good tone as well). My 1977 sounds totally different that my "50's correct" LP's. It doesn't have the warmth or fattness, but it has tons of bark and growl. Think Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak". Does GnR awesome as well.

And it's horrible for high gain metal.
                              It sounds brighter then my other two but still plenty of warmth as well. Plugged into my Uber it sounds awesome, so high gain metal is not a problem for it.

not sure exactly what t tops are, vs non ect. But i am sure i will be educated.

Since it seems to have all original equiptment, i am gonna assume that this guitar came with the chrome hardware, either that or someone went out of there way to replace everything stock with chrome.

Comment

Working...
                              X