X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MJ Guitar Engineering Super Strat Arrives...Thoughts

As a continuation of this discussion:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56779

Guitar arrived yesterday. It was delayed because the seller was on vacation over the 4th.

Here are my impressions of the guitar:

1. Gorgeous color. More of a metallic ruby or raspberry than a "red". Different light makes it look lighter or darker. Nice metallic paint. Some checking and some scratches, dings..but very nice condition. Played, but not beat;

2. KILLER, fucking KILLER neck. The neck does indeed appear to be flamed Mahogany as was stated in the ad. It has that those "squiggle" grains througout. I think the neck may have been laquered at some point and then taken down and oiled. It is smooth as a baby ass. 1 11/16 nut and nice and thin. Brazilian rosewood board. Has a phenolic cap on the HS, which has been sanded a bit as well...to take down the glare I guess? Fretwork is great, medium jumbos. 22 frets with a rounded overhang. Truss adjustment in the heel. Some funky, but very well made and functional, behind the nut lock. Does not look like a Kahler, but I have only seen Jackson Kahler lock nuts. LOTS of Flame!!!!;

3. Original Floyd. Killer. Warbles away with the slightest touch;

4. Body is most likely Alder;

5. The only things that blow are the mini-switches (hate them) and the bridge P/U, which is some no name and just sucks. It will be replaced pronto.

I have been trading mail with the company, and the guy that built it (the M in MJ) says he recalls building it around 20 years ago for a customer. It is 100% custom, he cut the body and the neck himself. No parts monster here. They also think they have a picture of the guitar with the original owner and are looking for it.

Overall, a very cool guitar with a neat pedigree. I would not hesitate to grab another one if it popped up.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Mike, I came very close to pulling the trigger on it. Great color and KILLER looking neck, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic
      Mike, I came very close to pulling the trigger on it. Great color and KILLER looking neck, congrats!
      Yeah, I got tired of looking at it and going...man, that neck is soooo cool...so, WTF, I took a chance and won!

Custom guitar for $650, why not? I just wish I had pulled the trigger a week before, when he had the BIN about $100 less!!

PU swap TONIGHT! We will see what they have at Guitar Jokers, plus I have my Blues Saraceno which I may yank out of the Predator.

Mike

Comment

Pics are no longer in the auction, please post some more!! I want to see this thing.

Comment

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
            YEAH!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

+1
              i didn't catch this the first time around

Comment

OK, OK...here are some pics.

Guitar Jokers had 6, count them 6, JB's in stock..not a single was F-Spaced! As a matter of fact, they had no F-Spaced Duncans except for a "custom shop" Distortion without a logo. I wanted a JB, so I put a regular one in. I can't really hear a difference, and the JB works well. But I digress, on to the pics:

Comment

That's really cool. MJ was very helpful in much the same way when I had some questions about a strathead they made.

Comment

Congrats... that looks like a fine guitar... got to love that flame

Comment

nice lookin guitar, sir! can you post a pic of the headstock so we can see the locknut? could be a rockinger nut; schecter used to use them back in the day.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

WOW! That flame looks amazing Never saw one like that
                        Check my bands!
                        www.myspace.com/magicktr
                        www.myspace.com/sinif64
                        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                          nice lookin guitar, sir! can you post a pic of the headstock so we can see the locknut? could be a rockinger nut; schecter used to use them back in the day.
                          Not a Rockinger, three allen heads, 4 small phillips to mount it. Looks like a Kahler, but different than any I have seen.

Mike

Comment

I remember that guitar, on Evilbay. Loved the flame in the neck. Glad to see it went to a good home............................it DID go to a good home, right?
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Thats a great find.....never heard of an MJ before now.
                              Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Working...
                              X