Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posted this on the Fender forum - HM strat info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted this on the Fender forum - HM strat info?

I bought a 1988 (E8) HM Strat yesterday, and I'd like to put it back to the original specs. The wiring is a mess, none of the original pickups are in there, and there is a hole where the coil tap was located.

I believe it is a USA, since the is no "Made in Japan" that I can find. Bubblegum pink, maple/maple neck, most of the hardware still there.

I'm pretty sure I need a DiMarzio Super 3, and two Fender singles (not sure what make), and some idea of how the original wiring was done.

There is a DPDT push/pull pot in the third position to which someone hooked up a coil tap - is this original, or was this to replace the coil tap switch?

What value pots and caps would be helpful as well.

Was there a TBX control on one or both tones?

Thanks for any help putting a classic axe back together.

Don

Hmm, this sounds familiar.

The pink isnt very bubblegum anymore though. Heres a couple of shots of the control cavity for ya.

Yes the 2 tone controls are tbx with the detent in the middle position. Mines an E9 serial. Ive been told that its mij because of the white plastic 5-way switch and the small tbx tone pots. Ive seen pics of supposed USA made ones that had one of those monster 5-ways with a gazillion tabs and full sized tone controls. Also, mine is a kahler spyder trem. Bought new by a buddy in 89 or 90 I believe. He lost his love for the pink and sold it to me for like $150. He said it was "firewood"

Comment

Same color, same axe, except the s/n. I've read that if it doesn't have MIJ on it, it's a USA. Mine has Fender USA on the neck plate, for what that's worth. I don't know jack about Fenders.

My "guts" look totally different.
      Different 5 way (looks like a regular strat 5 way, not monster, fewer tabs).
      Tone and volume are full sized. Probably not original.
      last tone is a small DPDT for coil tap
      No coil tap switch

Thanks for the pictures, that will really help putting mine together.

Do you still have the stock pickups? How do you like the way it sounds? Mine has a pair of Aria USA rails in the neck/mid, and a PJ Marx (no label, been painted) humbucker.

The person who wired mine didn't know too much - he wired the neck, middle, and hum coil taps all together to the DPDT switch. Needless to say, it's got a funky? tone from everything being connected together at the hip.

Comment

Those had a super 3 DiMarzio and standard singles.I'd put an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit in it and coil tap switch and play the snot out of it.The TBX controls on those never seemed to do much.The newer ones work OK.
        Last edited by straycat; 07-14-2006, 11:55 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mine is also a MIJ model, but it came with a factory installed original floyd rose.

Comment

I guess mine is the older one - it has the Kahler spyder and kahler locking nut (not the behind the nut lock).

Funny, I have a new Fender TBX control I bought a few months ago just because it was cheap. I guess it was meant to be LOL!

I have quite a supply of 500K+ CTS pots - no issues there, but were 500K's original or 250K's?

Econ,

I've seen pics of yours (white with green pickups, right?). Did you decide to keep it? Mine has 24 frets (can't remember if yours does). I remember you said that was an issue with your other Fender HRR.

Comment

Don:

The guitar is white with purple pickups. I tried to sell it but nobody got interested. It is still for sale.

Comment

How much you askin' for it? Curious.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

$550 shipped to the CONUS.

Comment

Mine is definitely more like the first pink one pictured. 3 knobs and a coil split switch, and not a FLoyd Rose. I guess they changed the specs over the years?

Comment

Yeah, there were many variations. I see the one hum ones every once in a while. A guy was selling a pink one hum body a few months back on ebay. The only thing I dont like about this guitar is that the neck is extremely glossy and can get sticky feeling sometimes. I dont have the heart to brillo it down though.
                      Heres a link to a little info.

Comment

DonP I think all HM strats (88-91) are 24 frets. I think there were HM strats before 88 but I think they were really more of the "Contemporary Strat" line than a true HM strat. Don, I'm not sure as all my HM strats don't have Made in Japan on them but I'm sure they all are based on the serial #. There is a website you can look up the serial # to determine origin of manufacture, but it is kind of general but may help.

I always assumed the MIA ones were superior to the MIJ ones but back then MIJ was putting out stuff arguably superior to Fender USA, and ironically enough the MIJ HM's in 90/91 came with OFR's where the American counterparts came with Spyders. Both good trems but most people prefer OFR's.... I don't

Comment

Econ thats a good price for that HM. White and maple makes me drool, haha, you got Dimarzios and a real Floyd Rose, surprised that didn't sell yet.

Comment

Yeahh i 2nd you about that HM not selling.great guitars with perhaps fenders best necks on them!Stock pickups scream,and are a great match for the body as harmonics reonate freely.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff
                              The only thing I dont like about this guitar is that the neck is extremely glossy and can get sticky feeling sometimes. I dont have the heart to brillo it down though.
                              Carbuff,

I was the one giving people shit for not hittin the $175 BIN on the ebay auction for the 1 hum HM strat LOL! I guess I just had to wait for my day (I found the thread on the ebay auction too late, by then, the guitar was already sold).

Regarding the neck, my neck is unfinished, maybe oiled? No stickyness at all, and looks "not so pretty" from use LOL! I think I saw somewhere that the first year necks didn't get a finish, but after the first year they did.

My only issue is the color

Comment

Working...
                              X