No announcement yet.

Body Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm going with mahogany, swamp ash, alder, korina.

Comment

I voted Mahogany. Probably because I came up on Gibsons.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
        How about Oak?
        Petrucci has one made out of an ancient chinese oak .

Sorry, had to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
          Petrucci has one made out of an ancient chinese oak .

Sorry, had to do it.
          :ROTF::ROTF:
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Isn't Brian May's Red Special made out of an old oak fireplace mantle?

Comment

Koa, Koa, then more Koa. After that, mahogany, swamp ash, walnut, and basswood.
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I'll go with Mahogany. I love the sound of a LP.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego
                  "Ta se mahogany gaspipe"
                  +1

Comment

Mahogany bodies bar none, low/mids rule!! I like them for neck thrus as long as the neck is mahogany also, on set necks and bolt ons, maple necks are fine, but mahogany necks are still better!! Jack.

Comment

korina 1st then mahogany. korina is much more resonant than mahogany to my ears.

Comment

isn't koa just oak mispelt?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Now, I can respond. I have all those solid wood guitars. And I have lams. The Ibanez Blazers with the "Violin" finish look and sound good. You can see the grain. And they are ash, I think. I have '80's Fenders and newer ones. I have "80's Kramers and Peavies. I have old Charvels and newer Jacksons. However, the best guitar I own, out of about 30, is a plywood Sebring Guitar. It's not the wood , per se. It's the total package. When you use electronics to make the sound it comes down to feel and craftsmanship. Just make sure that the wood or plywood is old. Your hands and ears are the bottom line.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

The best sounding guitar I've ever owned was chambered alder with a maple neck, so was the second best sounding guitar I've ever owned.
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

so Fett, you're recommending properly aged plywood over inferior "green" plywood?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                                so Fett, you're recommending properly aged plywood over inferior "green" plywood?
                                :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: You snob,you. My point is that I also collect real guitars, non-electric, and I can guarantee you that wood makes a hugh difference in sound. But, when you throw in all the electronics and trems or whatever, the body is nothing more than a cuttingboard. It all comes down to the neck.
                                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                                X