Took the 7 string plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the 7 string plunge!

Well, after tuning down to B on certain guitars for years, I said F*&k it and bought a 7 string. Basically the 2 (well, now 3) most influential albums for me as a player are Slaughter of the Soul, Heartwork and This Godless Endevour. All in B, ass kickin riffage and chops, and heavy as hell. Ya can't ask for more I honestly don't have the space to keep as many guitars in the different tunings that I've used with different projects, so this should be a good change. I've generally stayed away from 7 strings because I'm so comfortable with the 6 string neck and don't use the high E on a 7 string when doing the death metal type stuff because I'm used to the 6, but the retarded genius in me finally decided to use it for the standard stuff too Anyway, pics when she gets here (hopefully, my brother has my digital camera in Maine), but it's an Ibanez RG1527. The cool thing about it is through almost every dealer, you can only grab it in blue, but Music123 had it in black, so I went with that (I think it's only available in Japan otherwise). I'm grabbing a Dimarzio X2N next week to throw in the bridge, but that might come a little later than the guitar (Ibanez will be here tuesday. The guy threw in free next day shipping!) Here's the link for anyone else interested, and I think the price dropped $50 recently because I've been looking at this for about 2 months now:

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-RG152...-i159965.music

I really prefer mahagony bodied guitars, but I think I'll live, and with the X2N in there, it should rip. Quick question now, what do I use for the neck pickup? Tone Zone 7 maybe? Any input would be appreciated! This is a great week for me, RM100 and an Ibanez by Tuesday, and when the post office cuts the check for my broken Charvel, I've got a G&L ASAT Classic on it's way. Good times...

- Irf -

Oh yah, the neck (played my friend's guitar) on it is great too. Since it's wider because of the 7, the thin and flat neck really made it comfortable to play. Full review when she comes!
    Last edited by IrfaanSE801; 08-04-2006, 05:48 PM.

I had an RG1527 for a while. It was a great guitar, but I sold it because the neck was too thin for me. Even though it was a little thicker than the standard 6 string wizard due to being a 7, it was still too thin for my taste. I had a Duncan Custom/Jazz set in there and it was very versatile.

Let me know how you like it when it arrives.

Comment

Cool! I just checked DiMarzio's site, didn't know they put out an X2N 7. I had an RG7620 for a bit and thought the stock "New 7" pups in it were pretty good. Not really sure what you should go with for the neck, but I usually prefer brighter pups in that postion. But if you like a warmer neck pup, then the Tone Zone should probably work well.
      Now I've got a Schecter 007 Elite, the H/S version, put a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio Blaze single in the neck. I really dig it a lot. 7-strings rock!!!!! If I were to get another Ibanez, it would either be the RG1527 or the K7 model... not that I'm a real big Korn fan, but I like that guitar.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anybody have any experience with that $199 Washburn 7? I think it's alder.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I actually wanted the K7 because of the mahagony body, but costs a bit more than I wanted to spend right now. Plus if I were to get it, I would replace the fretboard and take out that ugly inlay, maybe put a maple board with ebony dots on. That's a later project maybe...

I actually DO want a brighter neck pickup to match with the X2N, I just don't know Dimarzio's line that well, but want to try em out instead of going the Duncan route which I always do. What do ya recommend?

Comment

Yeah, the K7 inlay is kinda beat, but the mahogany body with its PAF pups is supposed to sounds pretty sweet. I don't really know much about DiMarzio's 7-string pups, but the Evolution might work. Check out their site and see.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If it wasn't for that lame ass K7 inlay, I would own one.

Comment

Working...
              X