No announcement yet.

'57 goldtop LP price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience playing a lot of Les Pauls lately, the woods are lighter, and they sound better. I tried 4 Les Pauls recently, a goldtop historic, a black beauty custom, and two VOS, both 58, one iced tea and one cherry. They all weighed in at around 8 to 8.5 pounds with the blackie weighing a bit less. Very different from the ones a few years ago that still weighed 10.5. And they sounded much better to my ears, due to the lightness, I thought. I also thought the craftsmanship was the same as a decade ago. Of course, I always think Gibson fretwork leaves something to be desired, and all the Gibsons I've brought to my guitar tech required a little extra work. But I wanted a Les Paul, and the extra $40 for more work wasn't going to kill me. On principle, it sucks, but I also would never pay 3k for one.

All the historics I've tried, VOS and non-VOS, have a different sound from the standards. That's why people are paying up for them. The long neck tenons make an easily audible difference, IMO. All that glue in the standards is bound to sop up some of the resonance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Graphic
      My VOS SG Standard is the best playing modern Gibson I have ever played. I've owned literally 100's of high-end Gibson's. The VOS I received is incredible. The wood is VERY high grade.
      That is a sweet SG. Very nice. I've had cherry SG envy ever since I bought my black SG.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

as I understand the ligther Gibbies are made of Honduras mahogany wich sounds great and the heavier ones are made of African mahogany wich doesn't sound so great.
        Are all the new VOS ones with light bodies?
        I need Gibson so bad but no one really doesn't sell them here and I can't order them from net because Gibsons are hit or miss..... well more likely a miss. But can I trust the new VOSs to order them without trying out?
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

In my opinion, yes, you could order one you've never touched and be blown away.
          Originally posted by Endrik
          But can I trust the new VOSs to order them without trying out?

Comment

there are 4 ones I've concidered:

'57 Custom reissue
            Sykes sig. (non-relic one)
            '58 Standard reissue
            '57 Goldtop reissue

they all look awsome, can't decide wich one I like the most
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I've bought three untouched and loved all three of them. I quickly sold the standard I had though once I bought my first historic.

Comment

the reason I would take '58 over '59 is because '58 has a fatter neck

Comment

'57 Goldtop is the best value for the money, obviously. It's the same guitar as the Blackie and a lot cheaper. Of course, you have to like goldtops. The '58 is just a tad higher than the '57 Gold. For anyone playing metal, I'd say the look of the Black Beauty is worth it. But it'll cost ya.

There's a 1-week old '58 Iced Tea available on EBAY right now for 2k, which is about 2 or 300 less than the others. There was a goldtop on EBAY selling for $1700 this week, it might still be up there. Brand new, those go for $3.1k. Send me a PM if you want a good lead on a new Goldtop (not mine, in other words).

Comment

hey thanks for the good tips man, I'm not looking one right now though, I have to get myself a new Boogie stack first, I'm just wondering about the prices so I know how much I have to steal from the pank lol

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
                      there are 4 ones I've concidered:

'57 Custom reissue
                      Sykes sig. (non-relic one)
                      '58 Standard reissue
                      '57 Goldtop reissue

they all look awsome, can't decide wich one I like the most
                      Go with the Sykes sig (agreed, non-relic) and let me know how it is, that way I can decide if I want to get one.

Comment

Working...
                      X