Eric Johnson strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Johnson strat

Hey, can somebody tell me the quality and build of these strats. Have any of you had the chance to play them?

I played one yesterday. It looked good to me I didn't play it very long it had a much fatter neck than I was use to. Definately not a Jackson profile. If I had played it longer I could have been more helpful.
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I've played them a couple times but not through an amp so I can't comment on the tone. It is definitely a quality Strat and the neck feels good (nice, flat radius and jumbo frets) except there is too much damn laquer! Why do they laquer up the signature Strats like they do? I guess if you're a handy-man you could take some off. Anyway, it's still a sweet Strat and if you're considering one, you should definitely check one out. But if you're looking for bang-for-the-buck (with good quality), I still feel the Jimmie Vaughan Strat is #1.
      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

If you are looking for a strat type with a flatter board and don't want to spend on EJ's name. Look for a used Hamer Daytona.
        Ash body, 14.5 in radius neck. Duncans, Spertzels, and a wilkinson trem.
        Usually see them go for 500 or so on Ebay.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Probably the best high quality production Strat without going to the CS.

Yes it does have a chunky neck, like the SRV.
          Yes it is overlaquered in the neck. This is easily revsolved with some playing and/or steel wool.

I find this guitar extermely resonant. Much more so than any other Strat I played with the exception of some CS production pieces. I like the fact that Eric's name is nowhere to be found. The only thing that may tip you in being something special is the little guitar playing man on the neck plate.

The sound out of the pups is full and quacky. How is that?!
          What a Strat should sound like.
          At $1360 +/- ii is IMHO one of the best deals on the Fender line.
          Last edited by Joe_Steeler; 08-21-2006, 07:47 PM.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

absolutely agree. Own many Strats, all CS, and the EJ is the real deal. Would never sell mine.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I like the overall build quality and the thing sounds DAMN good both plugged and unplugged. I just couldn't get around the neck. I went with a Trower strat after playing the Johnson for that reason. Between the two, I like the JV strat better as far as overall feel, but the johnson sounds VERY good.

chuck
              "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

My EJ Strat is one of the best Strats I have ever touched. The neck is perfect, the weight is perfect, and the pickups are smoking! The thing just vibrates and resonates like mad, and the tone of it is just outstanding IMO. It is neck and neck with my #1 '78 Strat.

Comment

Do you guys think a Vigier strat would be a better choice? Heres a link http://www.guitarasylum.com/home2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 6_string_master
                    Do you guys think a Vigier strat would be a better choice? Heres a link http://www.guitarasylum.com/home2.htm
                    You surely are kidding....

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler
                      You surely are kidding....
                      No I am not. Vigiers are high quality, and have a flatter radius on the fretboard usually. Check out the Shawn Lane signature Vigier model.

Comment

Vigiers are extremely good guitars. Very comfortable, very resonant, easy to play (like 'butter') and unique. I'm not sure how they compare to a EJ strat in build quality etc but they are still very very good. I wish i had the money to buy one.
                        93 USA Soloist EDS
                        USA HT6 Juggernaut
                        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Make sure you play and EJ before you buy. They have really different necks on them. I played one in the store and knew from the second I sat down with it I wouldn't ever buy one. The neck just didn't do it for me.

J.

Comment

I am used to thinner necks so the Eric strat might not do the trick for me.

Comment

You sure don't then because the EJ has a baseball bat for neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X