Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget guitar for my guitarist

Hi,

The guitarist in my band has no money but is getting some for his birthday. Would probably be around £200 ($300-$350) and he desperately needs a new guitar.

He wants something that plays ok and has a fixed bridge. The bands a metal band so we're open to pointies. Bear in mind that used prices here in the UK are terrible!!! I was pointing him in the direction of the set neck Schectors, or the mid range Yamaha's. Am I right? A guitar with a floyded is 110% out. Even if its blocked. He just doesnt get on with them.

Is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

James

Made in Korea Deans and Hamers (set neck models) and also maybe the Import PRS models too. They are all fine guitars and you should be able to find them within that range I would think.

Comment

I'd be looking on ebay man, most new $300 guitars are pretty sketchy.

I agree, I'd be looking for a used PRS SE Custom on eBay.

or an Epiphone if he want the LP shape.
      Last edited by skorb; 08-25-2006, 10:17 PM.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Tell him to check out the RG321 they are the only fixed bridge gutiars under £300 that I know of, Jackson did use to make the KVX with string through, however, they changed it to a floyd now, plus he might not get on with the V shape.....

He might wan't to save a bit more than £200 to get a much better axe, or you could assemble a fairly cheap self made strat for around £400

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ozz

Comment

Cheers guys - Dont think he'll get a Dean, he used a Dean V for a while (couldve been a baby V) and he said it was awful.

Ozz - My current live guitar is a string through kvx10

I was aiming at used by the way guys - I dont post a lot around here but Im certainly not clueless when it comes to guitars!

Ill check out all those guitars, see what he thinks and let you know how i get on

James
          Last edited by Mr White; 08-26-2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I see a hello kitty in his future.......................
            “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

I like the set-neck Schecters. I've got a 007 Elite and really dig it. Very nice for a Korean made guitar, with Tone Pros locking TOM bridge and Grover tuners.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Ibnanz and Schecter are great choices . I have a rg320(same guitar but trem) and a schecter plus . both are great players. Washburns x series are good guitars too if your guitar player doesn't mind no inlays. I have a X50 and its my best player out of 9 guitars. I don't know about thier current quality but BC rich has a lot of hardtails. You might be about to find an old 90's Jackson rhoads with the hardtail for that price too.

Comment

I thought this looked nice (though I’ve never played one) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

In the UK a brand called “Vintage” make all sorts of decent inexpensive copies. Otherwise, Yamaha Pacifica are also pretty good under £200.

If you look at my first post here you’ll see I just paid £150 for a used MIJ Jackson PS2 on eBay, & I have to say that guitar is hilariously good at the price, in fact I’ve been using it professionally in preference to my “expensive” vintage US Les Paul & US Tele … the PS2 has a “Floyd”, but frankly I’d worry less about the Floyd & think more about fact I was getting a really good guitar at bargain price. 2:cents.

Ian.

Comment

How about an ESP brand LTD? Some of the lower priced models can be had for around $200. Might be what he needs. They're cool guitars and very METAL looking!!!
                    Guitars:
                    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                    1988 Model 2,
                    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                    RR3
                    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                    2005 SG Special

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill bear it all in mind when we go shopping soon!

I think he's leaning towards a KVX10 like mine...

Comment

He could try to track down a Jackson Concept JDX-94. They were made in Japan in very limited numbers, and I know that some ended up in the UK. I know have four of them, and they're really nice guitars. Of course, when I think of a fixed bridge, I think of the Fender hardtail style rather than Gibson TOM, so that may not be something he cares for.

This is a highly modified JDX-94, which I believe cost $200US (stock) on eBay...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X