Another Ibanez - PGM400CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ibanez - PGM400CA

Excuse the clutter in the photo. One day I'll take photos of my guitars against a plain background, or reclining in a majestic, artistic, aesthetically pleasing manner against a motorbike, or something - but until then the ex-dining room (there's no room to actually dine) will have to do.

Went on holiday for a couple of weeks (France - Charante Maritime, Fontaine Chalandray - beautiful - Cognac is nearby, so I obviously had to invest in the local produce - nice) and left a trusted friend instructions (and money, unfortunately) to bid on this beaut. He came through, and I got text message updates as to progress - although it took some persuasion to make him give the guitar itself to me on my return!

It's a PGM400CA - apparently a limited run (1993 only - don't know how many were made, but I've read 200 somewhere). Cavity cover is signed by Paul G, with his usual doodle - I'll be replacing the cover so I don't damage the sig. whilst I'm playing. There's a couple of dings, but nothing serious. Plays nicely. It's heavier than the PGM301 I've got, but the body is alder rather than basswood. Nice, clear tones, even when overdriven - Tone Zone & Humbucker from Hell in the bridge & neck positions. Vibrato works ok (vintage style, so no divebombs) & it stays pretty much in tune if not abused.

I had left instructions for a bid on a PGM500CA at the same time (looks similar to the 400, but basswood, unpainted neck, no vibrato) - but my friend was beaten by £3.99. D'oh! I was on the phone while he was bidding - it's just as nerve wracking in the final moments of an E-Bay auction, even if you're not actually present. He got the final bid in, time-wise, but the winner had the (annoyingly, and obviously) higher bid. Hey ho - I wouldn't have bid on the 400 if I'd won the 500 at the price it went for, and the 400 is the rarer of the two (I think) &, construction-wise, a bit different to the 301. Serendipity (I learned that word from Dr Who about 30 years ago).
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

sweet!! i want a PGM bad. that is a nice one. congrats!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Great score! PGMs rule!

I hope to own one, some day....

Comment

Cool stuff - I noticed that one on the bay as well. One day I will finally get round to getting myself a PGM (and an N4, Dessert Yellow Jem etc etc etc )
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Cheers chaps. Ah, so many guitars, so little cash.......I still want a Charvel EVH, but that'll have to wait until I spot a bargain. In the meantime, there are so many other "bargains"! I almost bought a Lynch Kamikaze, but got outbid (by a non-payer, it turns out) in the final seconds. Slow communication scuppered the second chance offer & the seller didn't seem to want to meet me halfway travel-wise. Like I say above, serendipity - the PGM is great
          Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

Wal - check your PMs!
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Cool. I've never seen a PGM model with a vintage-type trem. Nice color.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats, that's sweet! I would like a PGM (I believe it's the 100), the original one - blue w/pink f-holes. Actually, I prefer maple necks so I would like a 300 but they only offer the 301 (non-trem) here in the USA.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I don't think they make the 300 anymore?

Comment

Working...
                  X