• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinberger help

I need parts!!!
    I have a 1992 GR-4
    It has the R-Trem.
    I need the base plate and the 2 trem posts that screw into it. Mine is bent and not able to be straightened. Its the base plate with the locking lever on it too. I can remove the lever and re-use it but the threaded holes where the trem posts screw in are elongated and bent. Apparently, this is a common problem for old Newburgh R-Trems with miles on them.
    Does anybody know where I can get parts? MusicYo only sells the trem itself. Ed Roman only sells parts for S and T trems.
    I can fix this thing myself if I could find a parts source.
    Much thanks in advance.

I need parts for one too and have found none.Those posts have to be the worst design I've seen.I'm tempted to weld the holes and redrill and re thread, or go from underneath and weld a section of theaded rod into the base plate then weld a collar to the pivot post and screw over the threaded rod so you will have some adjustment and some strength.
    We should get budman to make a repair kit for these trems.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
      I need parts for one too and have found none.Those posts have to be the worst design I've seen.I'm tempted to weld the holes and redrill and re thread, or go from underneath and weld a section of theaded rod into the base plate then weld a collar to the pivot post and screw over the threaded rod so you will have some adjustment and some strength.
      We should get budman to make a repair kit for these trems.
      One of my trem posts snapped in half so I will have to replace it. It broke at the threads. The trem post looks like brass on the outside but the inside looks like its cast so I am not sure if I could weld or braze the trem post directly to the plate.

Comment

Might get some responses at the Steinberger World Yahoo group. Music Yo also sells whole R-Trems although they are currenty OOS.

Comment

Funny you bring this up, as I actually did fix a similar trem. A customer with a really nice little Gibson, came to me with the same problem.

Do these pics looks familiar? I have no idea what an R Trem looks like diassembled but from the descriptions in this thread, it's very close?

Anyhow, I drilled out the existing threaded holes in the crappy cast material and pressed threaded inserts (with flats ground in the sides for set screws as an added strengthener) in the base. Have a look:

Admins, if me showing this info is going against policy, please delete my post as I'm only trying to help.

EDIT: and just to be clear, I'm not advertising this for sales as I will not be doing these mods anymore.
          Last edited by Budman68; 09-15-2006, 01:34 PM.
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yes thats the trem post. Mine fit into a different type of base plate but the trem posts are exactly the same. I actually spoke to Ned himself today and he is hooking me up with new posts. My existing base plate is made of aluminum. It will need to have the exisiting threaded holes filled, redrilled and tapped to accept the 4mm threaded trem posts. BTW.. the trem posts are made out of a copper alloy.
            He did suggest having the machine shop install steel threaded inserts in the base assembly if possible.

Comment

Budman to the rescue.

Comment

Well thats cleared up thanks budman
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X