what kind of wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like ash to me!
    If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

Originally posted by slash
      The grain does look like ash... maybe the color is a bit off on my monitor.
      Possible... but from here it almost looks too subdued to be ash, rofl. Either way, it´s not ugly enough to be basswood and almost definitely too heavy as well.

The way it looks here the grain would almost make me think something coniferous like Pine or spruce, but it´s way too heavy for that and if it is after all then it definitely wasn´t a piece originally intended as tonewood, not with that kind of growth... really reminds me of the pine I used to build the second floor of my apartment

if we had a bigger pic of a section that would help, right now I´m kind of leary but wavering between poplar and ash

BTW, it´s a 4 piece body in case people are wondering

Comment

OK so we have votes for poplar and some for ash.
        based on it's heaviness (I guess I'd call it medium heavy, not LP heavy) I'd say poplar. some of the grain was from sanding off the black painted finish which partially gets ground into the wood as you're sanding.

thanks all!
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
          BTW, it´s a 4 piece body in case people are wondering
          yup, that's why I painted it again when I refinned it.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
            OK so we have votes for poplar and some for ash.
            based on it's heaviness (I guess I'd call it medium heavy, not LP heavy) I'd say poplar.
            Poplar is usually light, so is swamp ash, but northern hard ash is heavier.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It looks like basswood to me, but the "really heavy" comment wouldn't fit. Since it's so many pieces it could be anything you might not see here too often. One of those rarely seen in guitars Asian woods or something.

I'll go out on a 'limb' and say Dutch Elm
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
              X