No announcement yet.

gibson les paul vs. esp eclipse series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibson les paul vs. esp eclipse series?

so, how much of a sonic difference is there? the les paul is infamous for the classic gibson->marshall hardrock tone, as well as some heavy rhythm tones (iced earth anyone?!), whereas the esp doesn't have that cult following. i like the 24 frets of the eclipse series, but i wonder if an eclipse can also deliver that midrangey and fat les paul tone, given the right pickup choice? while the original ESP eclipses are damn expensive - just like the gibsons - the LTD versions are quite affordable, which is tempting.

on a related sidenote, are the epiphone les pauls any good (with better pickups etc)?

It works like this - a Gibson Les Paul is a Gibson Les Paul. If you want one, you want one and there is no substitution. You can get guitars that look like it, or even sound like it, but it will never be a Gibson Les Paul. If you get something other than a Gibson Les Paul, you'll kick yourself until you get one.

Now, if you just want something in that range and don't really care about it being a "Gibson Les Paul," just go out and play a few and find the right one. I would never get an Epiphoney, but that's just me - I'm sure they're righteous.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

it sounds like a les paul with EMG's.
      if you wanted it to sound like a particular les paul, you'd have to change the pickups.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Grandturk]It works like this - a Gibson Les Paul is a Gibson Les Paul. If you want one, you want one and there is no substitution. You can get guitars that look like it, or even sound like it, but it will never be a Gibson Les Paul. If you get something other than a Gibson Les Paul, you'll kick yourself until you get one.QUOTE]

I completely agree 100%, except, I've been kicking myself since I got one because I should've got one YEARS ago!

Comment

I've got a Les Paul Studio that I put EMGs in, and I love it.

I had an all mahogany gold LTD Eclipse EC-300P with stacked P-90s that I also really enjoyed (Duncan Designed pups that actually sounded really good), but I wound up selling it because I wasn't playing it enough and just prefer the sound of humbuckers. If I were on a budget and wanted another LP copy, I'd buy an LTD again, and the extra two frets were a plus.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you want a really good LP copy , take look at the ESP/Edwards LPs.I tried a few real LPs and ended up buying the Edwards instead.It has the LP sound and feel without the price tag.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[QUOTE=Grandturk]It works like this - a Gibson Les Paul is a Gibson Les Paul. If you want one, you want one and there is no substitution. You can get guitars that look like it, or even sound like it, but it will never be a Gibson Les Paul. [QUOTE]

I thought I would try an Eclipse II a couple of years ago, even though I owned a few CS Gibsons.

It came to my office from Music12345678.

I opened the box and the case and took it out.

Put it back its case.

Put the return label on it.

Sent it back the same day.

It felt like a toy.

YMMV
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                I've got a Les Paul Studio that I put EMGs in, and I love it.
                So you've basically got an Eclipse :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim

LOL
                  Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88
                    If you want a really good LP copy , take look at the ESP/Edwards LPs.I tried a few real LPs and ended up buying the Edwards instead.It has the LP sound and feel without the price tag.
                    +1 for the edwards..............

i have the Jimmy Page Edwards and its become my main guitar
                    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                      Yeah, but if I put the BurstBucker Pro pups back in it, then it's a Gibson again.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A les paul is a les paul and nothin else is a les paul!

Comment

Upgrade the pots and caps in a LP and have a real LP with unreal tone.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                            Upgrade the pots and caps in a LP and have a real LP with unreal tone.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Dont forget the Mojo

Comment

Working...
                              X