No announcement yet.

gibson les paul vs. esp eclipse series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are funny. Les Pauls are made out of wood, by people. Every piece of wood is different. People are different. Les Pauls are different. I've played many, and no two feel, play, or sound exactly the same. Some are fantastic. Some are shit. This applies to all guitars. Until the Japanese figure out how to make synthetic wood, and build a machine that can make a guitar without any human input whatsoever, this will always be true.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The no statement that is more true

Originally posted by zeegler
      You guys are funny. Les Pauls are made out of wood, by people. Every piece of wood is different. People are different. Les Pauls are different. I've played many, and no two feel, play, or sound exactly the same. Some are fantastic. Some are shit. This applies to all guitars. Until the Japanese figure out how to make synthetic wood, and build a machine that can make a guitar without any human input whatsoever, this will always be true.
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

well, it's not about owning a real les paul, it's more about the fat sound that's associated with the gibsons, hence the question about sonic differences

Comment

The high end Eclipse models are real nice guitars. Quite different from a real LP, but nice nonethless. More like a modernized interpretation of a LP. If you want a LP-like body style but with more modern appointments, they're a nice compromise.

Personally, I prefer a GMP Pawnshop, but those are getting more and more rare.

Comment

To an extent it is true, however a person touching up a guitar will not have much to do with tone. That comes in the manfacturing part, and since most companies use machines to cut there guitars and will use wood from the same batches or style that will dictate tone more then anything. Not to mention weight, neck joint etc...

Not to mention electronics, such as pots, switches and pickups.. will all have effect on tone.

So yeah, a ESP can come close to a Paul, so can any other clone company, but a gibson is still a gibson and an ESP is still an ESP.
            Originally posted by toddstaples
            The no statement that is more true

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
              It works like this - a Gibson Les Paul is a Gibson Les Paul. If you want one, you want one and there is no substitution. You can get guitars that look like it, or even sound like it, but it will never be a Gibson Les Paul. If you get something other than a Gibson Les Paul, you'll kick yourself until you get one.

Now, if you just want something in that range and don't really care about it being a "Gibson Les Paul," just go out and play a few and find the right one. I would never get an Epiphoney, but that's just me - I'm sure they're righteous.
              Couldn't have said it better myself. The LP copies like the high-end eclipses are certainly nice instruments. Regardless, they're not LP's.

Comment

doesn't zakk wylde use a les paul with EMGs????? ESP may have some good guitars , but all of them are a wannabe something mostly Jackson
                Until the Japanese figure out how to make synthetic wood
                -they have Switch guitars and the scarey Vibracell Technology

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  they have Switch guitars and the scarey Vibracell Technology
                  Yeah, too bad they look like shitty plastic guitars.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    doesn't zakk wylde use a les paul with EMGs?????
                    Yes, Zakk plays an Eclipse too.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

But his name is on a Les Paul. Dammit

Comment

I bought a Epi LP tobacco sunburt standard when they just starting to come out around '97 or so..

GREAT guitar, but the pickups truly sucked..So I had some Gibson Classic 57's thrown in and wow..It was one of the best LPs I've ever played or heard ever..but it was an Epi...so I ditched it just for that reason alone!!

That was very dumb..
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill, that sounded like someone that was beat up for wearing Sears Toughskins in 2nd grade
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

And that sounded like you were the one beat up.
                            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              Bill, that sounded like someone that was beat up for wearing Sears Toughskins in 2nd grade
                              Yes, Exactly..that was a great guitar!!

It just didn't have that "Gibson" name on it..

Sears toughskins..NICE

That reminds me of my Grandma bringing me to Zayre's for a new pair of "slacks"..Husky of course..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It really depends on what type of music you are playing. If you play super heavy music with little in the way of dynamics, you will see no added value by using a Les Paul. If you use a ton of processing, the same holds true. These guitars really come into their element when used in a more "plug-in-and-play" situation where you are running the guitar right into a good tube amp (possibly with a few pedals).
                                I also don't like EMG's in a Les Paul. Not that they sound bad, they don't, but they tend to homogenize the sound of any guitar (not just Les Pauls)...in effect, they sound like EMG's no matter what you put them in. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not my thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X