Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna try something new... 24 frets, 25.5" scale....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newc, ive gone through two carvins. I had to give it a chance two times around because of all the features I could choose from. I just REALLY prefer the 25.5 inch scale. I owned my second Carvin for 3 months and just could never get into the comfortable rhythm like any other 25.5" guitar.

Comment

Try a Washburn N4. I'm totally in love with mine.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

try a godin lgx, they are 25.5 scale, 24 frets, i don't exactly know the nut width.
        i own a lgx 2 voice and the workmanship/materials are top notch.
        the neck is on the chunky side, so i don't know if that's your bag.
        it's a good value on the used market also, kinda like what a used usa hamer use to be.

Comment

You know, the Carvin 7-strings are 25.5" scale. The higher end Yamaha Pacificas from years ago have 24 frets and I'm not sure of the width at the nut but all of my 25.5" Yamahas SEEM to have wider necks at the nut as compared to my DK2 and Model 6. I want to say Pacifica 1221 was the top end, it had those kind of S-shaped inlays, but then I think there was a model 1441 that was neckthrough and had dual inlays that loked like block inlays. Yamaha electrics from the late 80s-early 90s are really nice and are stupid cheap.

It's a shame you can't adapt to the 25" scale, but I believe you, I know you've tried twice. I actually think the SDs that Pete (Twisteramps) mentioned might be the thing for you. I had a proto that was built for diablomozart as an endorsee and that was one beautiful guitar, and the SDIIIs were really similar in design. Not sure what the nut width was though but it didn't feel too narrow. I don't pay a lot of attention to those particulars, if I dig a guitar I adapt to it. I don't have big hands though, in fact 24.75" is more comfortable for me although I have a number of 25.5" guitars because the features I like generally come with Superstrats, so I just deal as best I can.

Hey, have you tried the Fender Showmasters? Check their neck specs, but they are 24 fret set neck and I think they're 25.5" scale, nice quilt or flame top. I think they have a 2-point non-locking trem and are in MF for like $629. Made in Korea but look like good quality. Well within your budget as well and if you don't like it you have 45 days to send it back.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ah, just checked MF and the nut width is 1.625" which I guess is 1-5/8". Too bad, that would probably fit your bill otherwise and they come with Duncans. They are basswood bodies with tops as well, but I think you had a wolfie so maybe you don't mind basswood.

If anyone else is interested, MF has a basswood Showmaster with ASH top and the 2-point trem for $449 in cherry sunburst. That's $180 cheaper than the maple-top ones! There are also apparently American-made Showmasters but they're $1399 and $1499. I didn't look at those
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the posts LEx. I had looked into the fenders a while back, and yah, instantly turned off by the NUT. In fact, ESP/LTD, Kramer, Schecter all seem to use these smaller nuts.

Looked into Yamaha as well, but its TOUGH finding out any specs on these guitars in terms of basic nut width, neck dimensions.

These guitar companies are more worried about smoke and mirrors as opposed to giving us the down and dirty specs (except JAckson and their informative spec pages)

Comment

ESP M-II's have nice thick necks... I have one and it reminds me of a PC-1 profile. I'm referring to the HH model with an original Floyd and maple fingerboard.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I just thought about another Carvin with 25.5" scale and 24 frets besides the 7-strings... the Holdsworth! And it's got a thicker, rounder backshape with a flatter 20" fingerboard radius.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ToeJam, ive THOUGHT about the Holdsworth, although I really cant say I find that body style to appealing!!!

Im lookin out for some Mii's, and some ST2 and ST3's. I like the classic looks. IVe never owned a Charvel OR an ESP, so they have piqued my interest!

Comment

Yeah, I can see how the shape isn't for everybody. I kinda dig its mutated Tele look.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X