Seagull guitars (Godin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagull guitars (Godin

I'm heading upstate NY this weekend and gonna be looking at Seagull 6 strings. Anyone have these? Are there any models that stand out? I'm gonna look over on the Seagull site, but wanted to hear from some experience.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I have had a couple, most recently an S6+ it was okay but to be honest for the money you pay there are some better guitars. If you can find an older Seagull with the blue label those are very nice. You may want to look at some of the mid-line Alvarez Yairi models and maybe even some Takamine acoustics as well, Blueridge is a not too well known brand that makes some good sounding not too expensive rosewood and spruce top acoustics ($400-600 range), the Epiphone Masterbilt series are also a very nice sounding instrument. Do not limit yourself to just Seagull you can spend the same money and walk away with a guitar that will be ten times better; good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Too-many-toyz View Post
      I have had a couple, most recently an S6+ it was okay but to be honest for the money you pay there are some better guitars. If you can find an older Seagull with the blue label those are very nice. You may want to look at some of the mid-line Alvarez Yairi models and maybe even some Takamine acoustics as well, Blueridge is a not too well known brand that makes some good sounding not too expensive rosewood and spruce top acoustics ($400-600 range), the Epiphone Masterbilt series are also a very nice sounding instrument. Do not limit yourself to just Seagull you can spend the same money and walk away with a guitar that will be ten times better; good luck!

Thanks. I do own Martins, which I prefer for high end, but I'm looking for a low-mid, just to tinker with. My next guitar will be a Takamine EF341DLX or SC.

I know that the store up in Cobleskill, NY is a Seagull dealer. Last time I was up there, I didn't have much info on that type of guitar. I've seen good and bad reviews. If they're cheap enough I may pick one up, but wanted input on the Models themselves. I've read on the S, the M, the Artist and the GT series.

Not really overly impressed, but ya never know, right. Ovation was a guitar that I never liked, until my father picked up a Balladeer. A 70's model, it has the best deep resonating sound I've ever heard in an acoustic. He won't sell it to me .

The closest I've heard to it, was the Takamine model. I had one in my hands and told the owners I would buy it, but as they searched for the case (15 min), I pulled a Martin off the wall (D16-GT) and fell in love with it. So I changed my mind when they came back. Nice guitar, but no electronics.

Comment

I am not impressed with Ovation, I had a late 70's Custom Balladeer and it was decent enough in tone but lacked a certain depth that I look for. I have had a top of the line Guild (JF-100) a late 60's Dove and Hummingbird as well as a couple of Lowden acoustics...my favorite guitar is my Takamine JJ325SRC...I love it!!!

Let me know what you end up with?

Comment

I have an S6+. It has a cedar top, wild cherry sides, and a very thin lacquer finish (Lacquer? I hardly even know her!). It looks great and it sounds amazing. Many guitarists with better ears than I have played it and said, "Wow." Best part? Under 300 bucks.

Seagulls are pretty much handmade in Canada, from what I understand. It's a great product for not a lot of cash. Play them when you're at the store then let us know what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

If you want something to monkey around with, especially for slide, try to find a Japanese-made Dorado by Gretsch acoustic. I picked one up in a pawn shop a few years ago for $60.

The action is nasty-high, and it has a zero fret.

But it has a MOP logo, MOP block inlays, and the most beautiful tone I've ever heard in an acoustic. I use it for slide stuff with a thick glass bottle (one of those Vitamin C or something - I just wanted the bottle but had to buy the contents to get it )

Never seen another one like it, though. Looks like a Hummingbird
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crankdaddy View Post
              I have an S6+. It has a cedar top, wild cherry sides, and a very thin lacquer finish (Lacquer? I hardly even know her!). It looks great and it sounds amazing. Many guitarists with better ears than I have played it and said, "Wow." Best part? Under 300 bucks.

Seagulls are pretty much handmade in Canada, from what I understand. It's a great product for not a lot of cash. Play them when you're at the store then let us know what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I tinkered a bit with them, but was undecided. My wife told me to get it, and it was an s6. I'll be heading up to Cobleskill around Thanksgiving, so I'll decide then. They did have a used USA Charvel (white), which caught my eye. I don't know what model it was, all I remember is, the plate said Ft Worth and it had 3 humbuckers. Two jackson stock in the middle and neck, and one EMG at the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                If you want something to monkey around with, especially for slide, try to find a Japanese-made Dorado by Gretsch acoustic. I picked one up in a pawn shop a few years ago for $60.

The action is nasty-high, and it has a zero fret.

But it has a MOP logo, MOP block inlays, and the most beautiful tone I've ever heard in an acoustic. I use it for slide stuff with a thick glass bottle (one of those Vitamin C or something - I just wanted the bottle but had to buy the contents to get it )

Never seen another one like it, though. Looks like a Hummingbird

$60. I'd buy that for that price just because you said it was a good guitar. I wouldn't even try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
                  I tinkered a bit with them, but was undecided. My wife told me to get it, and it was an s6. I'll be heading up to Cobleskill around Thanksgiving, so I'll decide then. They did have a used USA Charvel (white), which caught my eye. I don't know what model it was, all I remember is, the plate said Ft Worth and it had 3 humbuckers. Two jackson stock in the middle and neck, and one EMG at the bridge.
                  not a US Charvel. Ft Worth plate = Made in Japan
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                  X