Hondo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hondo?

Anyone ever play one of these? I'm looking at an early 80's Hondo Revival Gibson explorer knock off. Made damn well and plays like a dream. But before I'd buy I figured it would be a good idea to ask and see if anyone knows anything. BTW price is $399 w/ molded hardshell case. It has a set neck and is made of Korina.

I have one that I am refinishing right now, has a flame top, Kahler trem, I think 300.00 tops would be better.If I get off my ass I'll take some pics.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I had one, and mine was plywood. I'm not sure if they made these in Korina. I'd seriously look into that.

Mine was Tobacco burst with gold hardware (vintage type trem)

I've seen the flamed top ones like Jacksonaxes has...but like I mentioned, I don't think they've ever made them out of Korina.

Comment

I think it is priced too high. Sounds nice tho for a set net.

My very first electric was Hondo Explorer (bold on version) like this one.

It was a pretty good cheap guitar with the exception of the tuners and pots & switch.

I wish I still had that guitar....it sat in the case for years, one drunken new years eve I ran out of firewood...I broke it in 1/2 and threw it in the fireplace
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          one drunken new years eve I ran out of firewood...I broke it in 1/2 and threw it in the fireplace
          :ROTF: That's a classic.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It does appear to be possibly made of Korina though. It ahs a transparent finish, and it looks like the Epiphone Explorer made of korina. It also had to nice of a tone to be made of plywood. It also must have nade before gibson went and started sue copy brands, as if you were to take the "Hondo Revival" emblem off the headstock, and set it next to an Explorer with Gibson removed from the headstock, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            I wish I still had that guitar....it sat in the case for years, one drunken new years eve I ran out of firewood...I broke it in 1/2 and threw it in the fireplace
            LMAO :ROTF:

EDIT: BTW it has the gold hardware and vintage trem, along with Grover locking tuners.
            Last edited by CharvelRocker; 10-24-2006, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Here it is , when I got it the neck was snapped off, I repaired it, in the pics of the top you can see where it cracked into the top, it's going to be a trans blue top, with blue burst, to cover the cracks in the top, with black back and sides, has all gold hardware, kahler, grovers.I dont know what it is made of, but it's really light for it's size.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Hope the restoration goes well. The one I played was almost as heavy as a Les Paul. As for the guitar, I played a Jackson with EMGs that was sweet. Cost almost twice as much, but when I get my money it will be what I buy . Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
                X