No announcement yet.

Who irrationally hates 21 fret guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 3 electrics with 24 frets, and 1 with 21. My favourite neck is definitely the 21 fretter. I don't miss those top 3 notes too much.

Comment

I play the high frets when they are there, but if they're not it doesn't bother me too much

Comment

I love 21 fret necks. I would never buy a strat without it.. it looks and feel right to me. If I play a 22 fret neck I always hit the wrong notes for some reasons..

I only use the higher frets when I play in a lower tuning (CoB for example) or when I do some classical things that need the high e
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Well, the thing about a 21 fret guitar is that it is generally designed around the concept of having 21 frets, which puts the lower horn right on the 21st fret. That means you have to change your hand position to reach it smoothly (or develop a Carpal Tunnel-inducing stretch technique).

22 and most 24 fret guitars are designed around the concept of having 22 frets (with the notable exception of the Les Paul), and thus the body is cut in such a way as to allow easier access to the 21st fret.

The Gibson SG was the only one designed properly e.g. the body starts after the last fret, which means nearly-perfect access to it with minimal obstruction from the body.
          Unfortunately this is negated by the thinner body, resulting in uncontrollable neck dives with any strap that is not sueded leather or some other non-slippery material (i.e. standard nylon DiMarzio ClipLock).

Most 24 fret models are designed in such a manner as to provide better access to the 22nd fret with minimal change in playing (fretting) technique and/or hand position. This is the major benefit of the "Dinky" body size (i.e. Soloist/Dinky, etc).

By the same token, the extended cutaway designs featuring 27/34 frets offers better access to the 24th fret.

I look at it like this: if a pianist has unrestricted access to every note their instrument can produce with minimal change in hand position/fingering technique, why can't everyone else?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
            Ha Ha, thats why soccer sucks

Blasphemy. Soccer, or rather its proper name, i.e. Football, sucks only if you can't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I look at it like this: if a pianist has unrestricted access to every note their instrument can produce with minimal change in hand position/fingering technique, why can't everyone else?
              What are you, a music communist?

Comment

for a pianist to not have to change hand position/finger technique, they would have to change their bum position. ie. slide along their stool. Reaching for one end of the keyboard or the other is going to make you change your hand position, unless you're like 8' tall.

Most instruments have physical limitations and restrictions. Hell, even with unfettered access to the top fret of a guitar, I'm still going to have difficulty playing comfortably on the higher frets on the low E string.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                  I love 21 fret necks. I would never buy a strat without it.. it looks and feel right to me. If I play a 22 fret neck I always hit the wrong notes for some reasons..

I only use the higher frets when I play in a lower tuning (CoB for example) or when I do some classical things that need the high e
                  If that's your preference, great for you. I on the other hand would not own a Strat that had less than 22 frets, and I really strongly prefer 24 frets because 2 complete octaves on a string give me a sense of completion.

I consider this a benefit because I never lust after those old vintage Strats that cost a fortune anyway. The trems on them don't stay in tune but the lack of (to me) proper range is the killer. Even great players like Uli and Yngwie sound lame when they try to bend from C# to E. Which is why Uli had his Sky guitar made.

But this is why there are a variety of guitars made! One player's meat is another's poison, viva la difference!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby View Post
                    What are you, a music communist?
                    Power To The People!
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      for a pianist to not have to change hand position/finger technique, they would have to change their bum position. ie. slide along their stool. Reaching for one end of the keyboard or the other is going to make you change your hand position, unless you're like 8' tall.
                      Fine, fine, next time I'll specify "SHORT pianists"

Comment

I don't like 21 fret necks because many of the songs I like to play use 22 frets in the solos( not that I can play them). I prefer 24 fretters so I have better access to the 22nd. The combination of the horn and the heel suck for access.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          SHORT pianists
                          Huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X