Ever get the feeling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get the feeling...

That you want to completely start over? (your guitar rig)

I do.

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of my gear. I'm sick of all my guitars, my amp, pedals.

I'm tired of it all.

Some of it is pretty cool. But. . .Its all stale. I get excited with musical ideas, and then I pick up my guitar, turn on my amp. . .and its so stale. Its uninspiring, it kills off that excited feeling I had to create.

Its been going on for awhile. . .Its kinda like being depressed. . .except only towards guitar stuff. I just dont wake up and feel like playing anymore, because its so. . .predictable. Lately, I've been playing less and less, because its less and less fun. My playing is suffering as a result.

I'm tired of the GAS and its games, and I'm tired of being a gear COLLECTOR. Now, I am at the point where I dont want to just buy gear because I think its cool (which is what I usually do) I want to take a very utilitarian approach and get just the stuff I NEED to make the music I want.

I think I am going to sell EVERYTHING. My amp, cabs, pedals, guitars, hell even the crappy cables, just clear em out. While I am gearless, I'll get a cheap pawnshop acoustic (not too cheap, something nice but inexpensive) and just play that for a while until I get my head cleared off all the gear madness, kind of like taking a vacation. So I'm going cold turkey. I waste too much time looking at gear catalogs, looking online at gear, browing forums, browsing ebay, browsing craigslist. I dont even feel like a musician, my musical theory knowledge is almost non-existant.

Honestly, I feel like it has consumed my life almost. Instead of feeling like a person who plays guitar, I feel like a guitar player who does things in the real world on occasion. I feel like its keeping me from being a well-rounded individual, with diverse hobbies and interests. My interests right now are almost fully on guitar playing and gear collecting.

I play guitar just to play guitar and make silly sounds, not to make music like I would like to do.

So. . .I'm hoping that this will get me a fresh, clean start, and I can focus on making music, instead of collecting toys.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? or have I just lost it?
    Last edited by nonamemx; 11-30-2006, 12:39 AM.

I've been kinda burnt on music since the past few bands I was serious about dissolved or ended, lately I've been getting more into art and comics and stuff I was into when I was a lot younger. I'm still doing shows with whoever will pay me for fill-in stuff but today was really the first day I picked up a guitar just to enjoy it in a long time. I'm sure working in a music store doesnt help either. I dunno, we're not really in the same situation but I can totally understand what youre talking about with not being a well-rounded individual.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-25-2008, 01:28 AM.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

sounds completely familiar. For a long time, guitar was my thing. It's all I was interested in. It's how I identified myself. But when you feel like you're not progressing, not being creative, buying gear for the sake of owning it, or otherwise feel like your wasting your time, it makes you question who you are. That's what happened to me anyway.

Didn't sell off my gear (although the thought has crossed my mind plenty of times) but did take some off, from the JCF, from playing (unless I really wanted to, not just because I felt I had to to keep progressing) and started spending more time doing other things, like playing with my kids, spending time in my garden & drinking beer. Basically took stock and took time to get some perspective.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I did it more than a year ago. At the time, I had 13 boutique OD's in one massive road case for my tour: from the living room to the kitchen AND back. I am down to a blues rig and a metal rig, with 2 guitars per rig and a half dozen pedals pro wired in a box for the same damn tour.

Comment

I have it too.. especially my pedals. I have around 10 pedals and sometimes I wish I could trade them for a GT8 or something. I could sell them and get the GT8, but I'm afraid I'll lose my "signature" sound..
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I like what you said about getting an acoustic. That's what it all comes down to isn't it; just you and the guitar, nothing in between.
              If you want to know what kind of a player you REALLY are, pick up an acoustic - your soul will speak right through it.
              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

a romantic notion

but my soul apparently has nothing to say.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx View Post
                  I think I am going to sell EVERYTHING. My amp, cabs, pedals, guitars, hell even the crappy cables, just clear em out. While I am gearless, I'll get a cheap pawnshop acoustic (not too cheap, something nice but inexpensive) and just play that for a while until I get my head cleared off all the gear madness, kind of like taking a vacation. So I'm going cold turkey. I waste too much time looking at gear catalogs, looking online at gear, browing forums, browsing ebay, browsing craigslist. I dont even feel like a musician, my musical theory knowledge is almost non-existant.
                  I think this is a good idea, go for it.. I need to stop buying also
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I am there bro....uninspired, fried... and selling plenty of gear...
                    Gonna keep the players, get rid of the rest & try to get down to one or 2 rigs...
                    Good luck with whatever you decide

Comment

Sounds like you need to a break. I've had stages where I got sick of practising when I was focusing too much on some technically challenging thing. I started trying to learn to sing and play which totally changes things up. It is pretty satisfying to be able to play and sing songs, even just for your own ears. I like the acoustic idea.

I don't know if you like the blues or not but ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7GZ...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_vT2H_QYc

what the hell, here's another
                      (edit) oops I meant ot post this this Taj song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAZfxLVLNSA (/edit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey_vT2H_QYc
                      Last edited by Tashtego; 12-03-2006, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I have actually been in this situation for the last few years.. sux

Comment

I had this for a few years. Left my better guitars at my friends studio. Was in no hurry to take them home. Just goofed around with my Yamaha acoustic and my Schecter 7-string.

One day for some reason, I tried to play something I used to be able to play in my sleep. It was a total disaster.

I guess it turned into a pride thing. I picked up a new amp, a few new Jacksons, found these boards, and am back in the saddle again.

It's going to take awhile to get back into playing shape, but after the break, I found a new desire to play.
                          My gear
                          87 Charvel Model 6
                          86 Charvel Model 4
                          93 Jackson RR EX
                          93 Jackson Kelly STD
                          88 Ibanez RG560
                          99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                          Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I'd just like for my bandmates to stop ruining my gear. My old drummer killed my Laney combo, and my guitarist killed my Hamer Cali. Neither have the cash to help me repair (Laney) or replace (Hamer) them, so I'm down to a V-Amp and my Cavin DC125. Bastards. haha
                            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I have never seen that one. Totally inspirational.

-Nate
                              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                              X