Esp M-II Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esp M-II Custom

A buddy of mine is planning to trade his Esp Eclipse II FM in vintage honey burst (which I think is an overpriced axe) with an ESP M-II Custom... Yesterday my bud told me he wants to hear my opinion and asked me to try the M-II so I went for it. The guitar was poorly setup and it felt/played/sounded like crap! Today we asked the owner of the M-II to flip guitars for one day, so I cleaned it up, restrung it and give it a nice setup and it turned into a shred monster The neck is too wide but feels really comfortable. The craftmanship is very very good. It has an Emg 89 in the bridge and an Emg Sa ( I believe ) in the neck. It sounds really heavy The bridge is a schaller made Esp bridge, that's in fact identical to a jt-590 which I like... My bud's Eclipse is dead mint, the M-II is in good condition I'd say 8 out of 10. I told him I'd definitely go for the trade if I were him but I also wanted to hear your opinion...

Here are some crappy pictures of it taken before the setup

I have 2 questions about it

1-How much do these go for in the used market? I'm interested in US prices, I'll make the conversion

2-Here's an even crappier picture of the serial number. There's something bugging me about this. It seems to be stamped later on, is this normal and do you have any idea when was it made?

Thanks a lot for all the help!
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

I know nothing about Eclipses so I can't help you there but, ESP M-II's now sell new for $1,500 here in the US (after a nice hefty 18% price increase for 2006). Used in excellent shape, they run in the $700 to $900 range depending on pickups, hardwear, color, and fretboard wood.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

This one is a neck-thru with rosewood fretboard
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

i had an m2 a few years back...with a proper setup they are really killer guitars...id say trade if he doesnt care for the eclipse...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

How old is it? ESP used to put a "ESP Custom Guitars" stamp on the back of all of their MIJ guitars so it may not actually be a custom-shop piece. It may be worth less than your friend's Eclipse.

Comment

M-II Custom is the model name. I have an M-II Deluxe. The Eclipse is probably worth more but, not by more than $150 or so.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

The M-II custom is a killer guitar. About 7 years ago, when I had mine, they would go for about $500 used, but they are much more expensive now. If your friend is into neck thru super strats, then he should go for it. I've always preferred the knob placements of ESP's over Jacksons, but that's me. Also, the serial number is fine - all ESP's from the late 80's/early 90's had stamped numbers.

Comment

I'm guessing That M-II custom is early nineties guitar made in Japan.
                Serial number stamped back of the headstock is normal too.

You can email serial number and pictures to ESP techical support so they can give you some kind of estimate on its age.

Comment

I would do the trade... I like the MII much better...

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies! My bud went for the trade.

Anyone has any further information about the date of manifacture? When were these bridges used by ESP?
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

It's after 89 (due to the headstock)

Comment

Working...
                      X