My new LP Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fett View Post
    I just got the guitar. The action is so high it's silly. Then I looked at the pups. The ring around the bridge pup is really tall. I'll bet if I put a lower ring on there it will just be fine.
    All bridge pickup rings are taller on Les Pauls... to match the arch in the body. Unless, of course, that one is a flat top.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's a flat top. You should see how far up the bridge is. I'll just find a ring somewhere.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Ah, okay. How's the action across the length of the neck? If it's also a little high, I think a tightening of the truss rod might also be in order.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I figured it all out. The neck has a real big tilt. So, all in all, it's set up OK. I did lower the action a bit. What's even worse is the guitar just screams. I have no idea what pups are in it. But they stay. I want to change the tuners from Jinho's to a new set of Grovers but I don't have a 25/64ths drill bit. Off to Lowes. And it's not a Special II. It's Chinese with a lam-bod. But, it's becoming the most comfortable guitar I have. The neck is perfect. Maybe a small shim in the nut.
          Last edited by fett; 01-05-2007, 02:58 PM.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

i thought that those were for esp and westones only ill have to make one lol
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I have an Epi LP Junior that is very similar to yours, just basically 1 pickup instead of 2 and a large "junior" style pickguard. I wound up changing the tuners to Grovers, and added a Duncan Distortion that I had lying around and it really screams. I love it. The neck is a little thicker than other guitars but I have big hands and it feels comfortable enough. Funny thing is that with these guitars, you can get a very low action. I set mine as low as possible and I can't believe how good it plays.

Sometimes it's fun to take a "cheapie" and mod it out to make it your own "Custom Shop." Good luck with it!
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

Hey Fett I found a Yakima L.P.jr copy for $100.00 and its not a bad guitar.Even has the Gibson headstock.Even tho' its a bolt on neck early 80s and looks like shit I like it.I'm a BIG fan of cheap guitars.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X