1908 Gibson L-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1908 Gibson L-1

Remind me to clean the dust off of this thing when I get back home..

COuld be a 1910, 1920something??
    Last edited by GTarman68; 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM.

Wow, has that been restored at all? Gonna have to dust your broom. Did they make that it 1908? All I can find are '26 - '36.

Gibson L-1 Archtop ( 1902-1926 )  The Gibson L-1 was first introduced in 1902 as an arch top guitar , it had a single bound top and back , ...

Comment

no restore.. I bought it from an Antique Dealer in NC who got it in an Estate Auction. It had some paperwork documentation w/ it saying it was a BD gift for some lady in 1910. I'm thinking the Serial is 8668, Hand Stamped inside, That would put it to a 1910 according to Gibson's site..But the Picture is confusing..The Gibson Historian I contacted in Nashville was also wondering about this, I do remember that. I have had it for about 8 or 9 years now..
      *EDIT*
      Last edited by GTarman68; 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Have you tried talking to George Gruhn in Nashville? He may be another source.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Just looking on the Google Search for Gibson L1. It seems the later pics I have saw 20's to 30's are nothing like mine.. Even the 1916's on the Bay are different than mine..Hell, Who Knows..What I do know, Is I gave $400.00 for it a few years back..and would do it again too..Thanks for the Comments
          I may have to try to contact George..I didn't have pics online when I talked to the Gibson Historian when I got the thing, Maybe I'll send him one..

Comment

How does it sound? I'm imagining how nervous I'd be putting a new set of strings on.

Comment

wow. what a great piece to have laid hands on.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

It sounds Great, and Yes, I am very careful w/ the string changes. You have to be, the tuning keys are easily broken, especially if they have sat and froze up. A guy I know broke a few of his off.

I was lucky to find the guitar. The Guy I got it from had 2 old gibson Banjos as well. He has an old 3 story log cabin full of antiques..worth millions I would say..

Comment

Working...
                X