Squier Obey Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Obey Strat?

Anyone have oen of these? I've been looking at one online and saw oen in person the other day and thought they looked really cool in the dissent graphic. How is hte build quality/sound of these? Single coil sound isnt a major concern as I have a Fender USA pup lying around I would put on as soon as Id get it. So thoughts?

Your the first person I have seen that has had an interest. They don't even get mentioned on the Squier forum. Of course the only guitar that ever gets mentioned on the Squier forum is the '51. As for the strat itself, I think it is just a Squier standard with the graphics. The standard strats are pretty good in terms of quality and features.

Comment

like any Squier, it is made in China and has junk electronics and hardware on it. not to mention likely a crappy neck/frets.

the graphic is pretty cool though, I agree.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

For the record, I did choose a Squier Affinity Tele over this. I liked it, and actually thought it had a nie sound to it. The hardware was nice too. The oxidized finish looked really nice. The neck and frets were pretty good too. I thought the Tele was a batter value though, and now that I've taken a file to the fret ends and made some slight adjustments, it plays and sounds great.

Comment

Yeah, I own a few Squiers and I think the quality is a lot better now than it used to be. The obey stuff seems a lot of money to pay for the graphics. You could get a better deal on the Affinity or Deluxe series that doesn't have the graphics but is spec for spec a better guitar. If you are a collector though, the Obey series may rise up in value in a few years. Who knows.

Comment

eww squires...... are for queers, no im just messin, i always though that squire for quite decent. one of the best low end guitar made hands down can't complain for only a hundred bucks right
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
              like any Squier, it is made in China and has junk electronics and hardware on it. not to mention likely a crappy neck/frets.

the graphic is pretty cool though, I agree.
              Squiers have been made in the USA, Japan, Korea and Indonesia as well as China. I've played some pretty horrid ones, and some nice ones too. So while your statement may apply to the Obey, it doesn't apply to "any" Squier.

And I really haven't played any with bad necks or frets, even the cheapest ones.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                Squiers have been made in the USA, Japan, Korea and Indonesia as well as China. I've played some pretty horrid ones, and some nice ones too. So while your statement may apply to the Obey, it doesn't apply to "any" Squier.

And I really haven't played any with bad necks or frets, even the cheapest ones.
                That's tellin' him. You forgot India. The only Squire I don't have is one made in Japan. But, I'm still alive so there is hope.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I may have been a tad harsh there, yes.

I own a 1984 Squier Tele (MIJ), bought new back then. the electronics and hardware on it were total crap, even back then. I did not like the tiny vintage frets on it either (my preference, the neck was ok). I replaced the hardware and electronics and the neck and now I have a great guitar.

I know where these guitars were made in the past. but now they are all made in China, so that is what I meant, and I will qualify by restating that as "Any new Squier."

now you may be happy for the rest of the day!

Comment

skorb,
                    What's the serial number on that MIJ Squier? Is it an SQ or an E? I just bought an SQ that I am awaiting delivery on. I have heard that the SQ's were on par with the MIA Fenders of the time with the exception of the electronics, thought the pickups were supposed to be Fender. The E series were hit and miss.

Comment

Hey hey... my Chinese Squire is frikkin nice.
                      Yea... the electronics blow, but the bridge and tuners are pretty damn solid and the neck is great. Did have some fret fangs, but that's easy enough to fix.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                        I may have been a tad harsh there, yes.

I own a 1984 Squier Tele (MIJ), bought new back then. the electronics and hardware on it were total crap, even back then. I did not like the tiny vintage frets on it either (my preference, the neck was ok). I replaced the hardware and electronics and the neck and now I have a great guitar.

I know where these guitars were made in the past. but now they are all made in China, so that is what I meant, and I will qualify by restating that as "Any new Squier."

now you may be happy for the rest of the day!
                        I'm on Cloud Nine, thanks! Notice I didn't mention the electronics either! I'm not going to argue that one, though my Stagemaster HH has pickups that aren't that bad. I imagine Duncans and decent pots and switches would really wake it up though! That model is also Korean made and of pretty good quality, some of their better recent stuff IMO, yet still Squier-cheap.

Are the Squier Standard Stratocasters all made in China now too? I have a newer one that's made in Indonesia. Neck, frets and body are not bad, though the electronics on that one are truly suckariffic! I thought Indonesia was below China on the scale anyway, but I had a Washburn BT-10 from there a few years ago that I actually liked. Mahogany body, licensed Floyd, HSH direct-mounted pickups, played like a dream and sounded good too. Great fit, finish and fretwork. I really think the Asians are getting a handle on this pretty fast, at least with decent low and moderate level guitars.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My first guitar was an Idonesian Affinity Strat. I hated the thing. It was awful in everyway. However my made in China Affinity Tele...

Comment

Originally posted by Acidhouse View Post
                            skorb,
                            What's the serial number on that MIJ Squier? Is it an SQ or an E? I just bought an SQ that I am awaiting delivery on. I have heard that the SQ's were on par with the MIA Fenders of the time with the exception of the electronics, thought the pickups were supposed to be Fender. The E series were hit and miss.
                            don't know the SN. I took the Squier Tele apart in like 1987 when I got my Model 2, planning to put in all new parts, new custom neck, etc. well, I didn't get around to that for about 18 years and during that time it sat in my garage/storage, and I tossed the old neckplate due to rust. it was a black/black Tele with a maple one-piece neck/board.

Comment

Are the Squier Standard Stratocasters all made in China now too? I have a newer one that's made in Indonesia. Neck, frets and body are not bad, though the electronics on that one are truly suckariffic! I thought Indonesia was below China on the scale anyway, but I had a Washburn BT-10 from there a few years ago that I actually liked. Mahogany body, licensed Floyd, HSH direct-mounted pickups, played like a dream and sounded good too. Great fit, finish and fretwork. I really think the Asians are getting a handle on this pretty fast, at least with decent low and moderate level guitars.
                              I don't really know, I thought they were all China now but I could very well be wrong.

I have no problem with Korean guitars, which generally seem to be well made, albeit with the crappy electronics and hardware as usual. some of the Chinese guitars are OK too, but again you have to play each one and decide if it's a keeper (on which you want to make the investment in swapping out the crap electronics/hardware).

Comment

Working...
                              X