Wood Grain question on Les Paul R7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Grain question on Les Paul R7

I've had a few used R7s in the past, and I always kick myself after selling them, so I jumped back in and bought a brand new VOS this week.

I bought it over the phone (there are practically no opportunities to buy a new VOS in my area). When it arrived, it had some dark discoloration in the Mahogany on the back. I was wondering what you all thought of these pics below. The streaks are actually a lot darker in person, and there's more discoloration at the bottom. I compare this to the back of my prior R7 (last pic) which was really "purty."

OK, are the dark streaks noteworthy flaws? Are they an issue? Bad wood? Any tonal difference? Or should I just not worry about it?

Are you not happy with it? Does it play o.k.?
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Dude, it looks great to me.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Tommy, it plays great. It's just completely different from every other historic. The streaks are just really dark. I've never seen that before on these. In person, they look like skid marks.

You know how it is, new guitar, I can still return it this week, I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb. The thing about Les Pauls is that none of them is ever perfect. And I'm not talking about wood grain. I've had any number of problems in the past, most often shitty inlays and fretwork. This one came perfect other than the fretboard edges being less rolled off than on other Les Pauls. That's fine, and actually I can have that issue addressed easily. The inlays are usually an almost impossible problem to adapt to, so I'm very happy with this.

It's actually the second brand new guitar I've ever bought (and I've owned about 30 guitars).

Comment

It's not totally uncommon to have some streaks in Mahogany. You can take a look at some of the Mahogany bodies I have made and you will notice that some of them have streaks.

Comment

I think it looks awesome man. I agree that no LP is perfect out of the box, but then I have yet to buy any new guitar that was perfect. Fenders, Gibsons, Taylors, etc... They all have some nit pick I can find. Screw it, if it plays and sounds great, count yourself a lucky man and jam away.

chuck
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Looks sweet!
              BTW, did you ever wind up getting that MF/GC Vintage Mahogany LP?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think the back looks good FWIW. Let's see the front!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Looks sweet!
                  BTW, did you ever wind up getting that MF/GC Vintage Mahogany LP?
                  I did! And I sold it a few months ago. MF is blowing those out right now. I don't think you can do better for the price of one of those. Very sweet guitars, nice build. However, as far as what I'm looking for in a LP, I think the maple cap is required. I've been playing a lot of Eagles songs lately (I don't even like the Eagles!!) and the LP is the only guitar to my ears that can get Walsh's sound down (and yes I know he plays Gretsch and Carvins). The maple cap was key for me. Walsh's bends are almost on par with BB King's, and the LP is one of the few guitars that can actually capture the tonal variations.

Comment

The front is a goldtop. I didn't take any pictures of it yet, but...essentially...it looks the same as the other R7 Goldtops.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                      I did! And I sold it a few months ago. MF is blowing those out right now. I don't think you can do better for the price of one of those. Very sweet guitars, nice build. However, as far as what I'm looking for in a LP, I think the maple cap is required. I've been playing a lot of Eagles songs lately (I don't even like the Eagles!!) and the LP is the only guitar to my ears that can get Walsh's sound down (and yes I know he plays Gretsch and Carvins). The maple cap was key for me. Walsh's bends are almost on par with BB King's, and the LP is one of the few guitars that can actually capture the tonal variations.
                      Cool. I love the all mahogany of mine, I think it's bright enough with the mahogany cap. I guess I'll eventually have to get an LP with maple cap just for a little more variation.

Comment

Yours looks awesome to me....I thought that's what mahogany is supposed to look like! Your's reminds me of my new CS MAH:

Comment

I just landed a 2006 vintage mahogony L.P. studio and it has a few dark streaks on the back which is normal I'm just glad its one piece back.The top is a very flamey mahogony top.A very nice guitar right out of the box.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If it's any consolation I have an Ibanez RGT2020 which is natural (oil finished) mahogany. Now, I know this isn't comparable to the nice R7's and such but it has rather uniform streaks of alternating dark & light running the length of the wood. I LOVE it!! Gives the guitar character IMO. Here's a pic . . .

P.S. Sweet guitar!! I've always wanted a historic.
                            Last edited by Thrust; 01-12-2007, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I just landed a 2006 vintage mahogony L.P. studio and it has a few dark streaks on the back which is normal I'm just glad its one piece back.
                              Your vintage mahogany studio had a one-piece back??? Mine ('04) is a three-piece. If you look close, you can see the seams.

Comment

Working...
                              X