What day is it today? Gretsch day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What day is it today? Gretsch day!

Well, today was the day that I went Gretsch and got my Gold sparkle Jet home.

All I need to do now is replace the strings and then it'll be playing non-stop.

Gretsch's are cool. I've had several. I still have a 6120 DSW that gets abused on a regular basis.

Comment

i would like an elliot easton.....looks classy!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I sold my 1962 2-tone Smoke Green Model 6118 a few years back. Played like a dream and had the CSNY tones. It's in a good place now, with a collector that has others of his kind and hangs with Paul Reed Smith.

Comment

Every Gretsch Ive played has been a cool looking, nice sounding and playing, guitar. Just not suited for the music I play. congrats on yours

Comment

When I paid the guitar and asked for a package of D'Addario XL 011 strings, the guy behind the counter goes. "Are you sure, you probably need to re-adjust the neck when you put something that hefty on that guitar."

Four hours after I swapped the strings and the neck is holding up just fine, no adjusting needed whatsoever.

The way the guitar played and sounded GREATLY improved with those new strings, the 009 set it came with failed to get that wonderfull bell-like chime of the hollow body.

I plugged it into my Peavey Classic combo, dailed the reverb to roughly two o'clock used my trusty Boss overdrive for a little growl and my delay for some slapback. And it was instant riffing rockabilly licks. I am a metal guy but Brian Setzer is the guy who influenced me to play guitar and this little Gretsch enables me to get in touch with my inner rockabilly rocker.

I love it to death already.

Comment

Congrats Blazer. You finally got it. Did you fix the car or have to sell it?:ROTF:
              You have me wanting one of those to add to my Setzer 6120!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

My car is fixed and by selling two amps and one of my guitars I could get enough money together to buy that Gretsch.

Also my Sparkle Jet isn't my first Gretsch, I owned a Synchromatic Malcolm Young model before. Identical to the one on the picture.

I used that one as my main guitar on the album I recorded with the band "The Worst"

Comparing that korean made one with the Japanese made one I now have is like comparing apples and oranges. The Malcolm Young sounded more powerful, the fixed bridge accounts for that but the two Humbuckers did have that nice sparkly "Gretsch" sound. What I didn't like about it (and that was also the reason why I sold it) was that the pickup and tone switches were directly above the neck pickup so I constantly bumped into them. Another thing was the BIG square neck heel, it played rather uncomfortably. And I hated how neck heavy it was.
                Last edited by Blazer; 01-13-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I'm a Gretschaholic. I have a 6120DSW, a '58 Double Annie and I am now hunting for a Jet with Dynas.

I haven't even fired up my high gain rig in over a month...its Rockabilly every night at Casa Breinin.

Rock on.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Same here, I'm a long haired, bearded, denim wearing teddy-boy.

I'm still thinking about covering "No one knows" from Queens of the stone age in a Rockabilly version, that song just BEGS for a slap bass and a boppin' slapback echoe'd solo.

Comment

Working...
                    X