G&L guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L guitars

Looking around at Fender strats and came across G&L. Anyone own one of these. What are your thoughts. I don't know much other than the history, which I've read.

I'm a big Fender strat fan and curious of G&L quality/sound.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I used to sell G&L's back in the mid/late 90's. I think they are better in quality than any Fender at the time.
    The Legacy series strats are awesome. Quality is/was top notch.
    I haven't played one in years though, so I cannot comment on the current models.

G&L's are true strats IMO... made by the man that started it all.
    Last I heard, Leo's wife is still part of the day to day operations.
    -Rick

Comment

I have a G&L S-500 from '82. The guitar was a trooper, stayed in tune pretty much as long as I didn't go crazy on the whammy. I have a pic of mine on my website.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Yeah
        I just ran up to the music store to check this one out that had caught my eye. It was a Legacy. Nice, but expensive.

Comment

They are not cheap, but worth every penny.
          -Rick

Comment

amazing guitars, I'm thinking of getting one
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

There is no resale value to these just like Carvin.Its a shame because they are very fine guitars.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had a G&L Climax. It had a H/S/S config with a floyd Rose. Very, very nice sunburst finish. What suprised me was how flat the neck was on it. Similiar to a MIJ Charvel. The electronics weren't half bad either. Don't think I have a pic at work though.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  They are not cheap, but worth every penny.
                  Yeah but at that price, I can think about the Eric Johnson or Jeff Beck strats. The Legacy is nice though and is still on the list. I'd probably prefer the Legacy. I looked at Comanches, but the pickup config didn't do it for me. I gotta think about it...............damit!!!!

Comment

I own a Fullerton Sig and it is the best feeling strat I have played.... Top knotch quality and the unplugged acoustic sound of it is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebbflow View Post
                      I had a G&L Climax. It had a H/S/S config with a floyd Rose. Very, very nice sunburst finish. What suprised me was how flat the neck was on it. Similiar to a MIJ Charvel. The electronics weren't half bad either. Don't think I have a pic at work though.
                      I'm specifically looking for single coil strats this time. I have a Lonestar Strat, which is my gigging guitar and my favorite. It has the humbucker at the bridge.

Comment

G&L guitars

> Maybe they've gotten better over the years,but the one I had sucked. It was a Rampage,hot pink,single hum and a Kahler Pro. The neck was so rough I had to sand and re-oil it as soon as I got it home,the pretty thin ebony board cracked within weeks even with proper oiling,and finish was soft enough you could press fingerprints into it. Once I got the neck finished,it played pretty nice,and felt like the Lynch Kami,with the fairly thin profile and 1 3/4 width. I eventually had problems with the non-Kahler locknut,and the plating started coming off the tuners and Kahler. I took it back to the mom-pop store I got it from,and even though I traded my Aria ZZ Deluxe for it plus cash,I traded back for it even. It was sent back to the factory eventually,which replaced it with a Tele-style. I never saw another one. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

my buddy has a whatever G&L calls its Tele, awesome, nicely made guitar. my gripe is the hardware, tho i think it maybe the model since it very vintage fender. the thin ashtray tele bridge & cheap plasticy looking 3 bolt neck plate, dont like it. other than that its nice for a old school tele which im not a big fan of.

Comment

I've got a Comanche and I like it... well built and a freakin' steal on Ebay ($750, basically brand new, with flame blue-burst top). I look at Ebay all the time for G & L guitars and there are always bargains available. If you wait long enough you will see the model and color you want. I can't really compare to Strats because I've only played one - a used Buddy Guy sig at Guitar Center. That particular strat sucked... and I'm a huge Buddy Guy fan and had been waiting to try one out for years.

Comment

I´ve seen some G&L´s go really cheap, even brand new, around here... probably because there´s no swedish distributor anymore and they were the last of the bunch. I was thinking they were some more affordable imports... where are these made?

Comment

Working...
                              X