Interesting find from my uncle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting find from my uncle...

My uncle gave this too me when I was 13 and I haven't seen it in years.
    It was his first electric guitar when he was a kid.
    Over Christmas I stopped by my moms house and asked if she new where it was. And she opened the closet by the front door and there it was. Strings all rusted out and beat to hell.
    My younger sister apprently grabbed it a few years back and beat the hell out of it. Guess she got tired of it and tossed it back in the closet.
    I know it isn't worth jack shit, but I'm going to fix it up.
    Needs a fret job BAD and the pickups are shot... bridge is ok. It actualy stays in tune.
    Only has 20 frets and I have no clue what scale it is. I'll take some measurments later.
    I do know it's all Mahogany and the neck does not have a truss rod.
    Of course it's just over 2" thick and barely 22" long, so I doubt it will ever warp. Nice and thick C profile... actualy very comfortable.
    Real MOP dots and Kluson Deluxe tuners too.

Built approx 1956 or 1957.
    On to the pics.

-Rick

That looks A LOT like the guitar I first started to play on!
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

2 bolt neck joint!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

wow, that's a cheapy. even for back then.

good luck!
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

That looks like someone made it at home. A good job but home made. Is there any type of ID on it at all. Maybe under the pickguard?

Comment

Needs a floyd rose
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Not home made, that much I know.
              The two bolt neck is pretty interesting. I took it apart and it reminds me of an Anderson setup.
              It's a rounded pocket with a flat spot on the bottom. The neck just drops into place and locks into the pocket.
              As for markings... they've long since been removed. My uncle said he has sanded and painted the guitar about 4 times before he decided to put it back to the original finish.
              I jammed with it a bit last night and short of needing a re-fret, it's really nice to play. Low action and the cheap bridge is comfortable.
              -Rick

Comment

That is very cool Rick. Doubly cool that it was your uncles and now you have it. I love family stories like that. No it's not a PC1 but the fact it was his makes it awesome...
                Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Looks like a Supro or Harmony. VERY cool find!

Comment

A supro Super to be exact and from what I found on sites about vintage Supro guitars, a very early one, 1956 or perhaps even earlier than that. They came in Dual or single pickup versions and here's the single pickup version showing what it should look like in immacullate condition.

Last edited by Blazer; 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Here's a similar guitar, showing the details a little better.

They apparently also came in silverburst.

But so far I haven't found a picture of a dual pickup version.

Comment

Thx Blazer!
                        That first pic is pretty much it minus the second pup.

And it was made in the USA.

Here it is. I like the finish.

SUPRO SUPER TWIN ... Late 1959, A Near Mint example of this Ivory to Black Sunburst single cutaway solidbody. It looks showroom new and so does the original Black alligatoroid soft case. 2 Gold plated pickups, 1 with molded surround, Dobro-type Gold trapeze tailpiece, carved bridge on studs. Short scale Sunburst neck with 3 on a strip Kluson gears. OHSC
                        Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-19-2007, 06:01 PM.
                        -Rick

Comment

As you can see from mine, the "gold" plating rubs off.
                          -Rick

Comment

So are you gonna have it refinished in silverburst?

It would look awesome.

Comment

I haven't decided on a finish yet, but it will get refinished.
                              The problem is the hardware... it's pitted and in bad shape.
                              I would need to have them re-plated. Not sure what that costs to have done.
                              The original Kluson tuners work great, but they are in rough shape too.
                              Although I think I can restore them with a good cleaning and some 1500 grit to removed the rust.
                              My original thought was to modernize it a bit with a better bridge and tuners, but still keep it looking along the same line as the original parts.
                              Leave the tail piece on it, but replace the fixed bar bridge with one that has adjustable saddles.

Hell, I may have all the hardware acid dipped and then painted black.
                              Again... a modern twist on an old guitar.

Still mulling it over, but suggestions are very much appreciated and welcomed.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X