Robert Cray Strat or Highway 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Cray Strat or Highway 1?

I got a chance to get either of these guitars for the same price...what to you guys think? MIM Robert Cray Sig. Strat or the MIA Highway 1 (older one not the newer upgraded version!) Kind of strange as the Robert Cray is MIM but has MIA Custom Shop pups and hardtail bridge and the Hwy1 is MIA but has MIM pups and vintage bridge/hardware!!!! *lol*

I didn't like the old Highway's but the new ones look better. I'd go for the Cray!
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I am leaning towards the Cray but i`d thought i`d stop buy and get some opinions first! Maybe someone could shed some light on the matter that might sway me either way!!!

Comment

The old Highways I've worked on at the store I do repairs for. It has the old 7 1/4 radius and no reverse wound pup. I thought it was kinda lame, the new ones have a 9 1/2 radius and pup upgrade but cost more than the Cray I'm sure. The MIM strats are a great value IMO.
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

for me that question would be all about the bridge. Do you want a hardtail or not?

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
            The old Highways I've worked on at the store I do repairs for. It has the old 7 1/4 radius and no reverse wound pup. I thought it was kinda lame, the new ones have a 9 1/2 radius and pup upgrade but cost more than the Cray I'm sure. The MIM strats are a great value IMO.
            No i believe they were always 9.5!!! I think they originally came out in 02 or 03 and Fender always had them listed as a modern C shape neck, 9.5 radius fretboard!

As far as the bridge.....it doesn`t matter to me. I usually have the bridge flush with the body if its a trem and i don`t use them that much anyway! I mean,if its there i`ll use it from time to time but its something i don`t look for!

Comment

Sorry about that, I always thought they were a vintage neck.

Comment

I would go for the Cray.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                  Sorry about that, I always thought they were a vintage neck.
                  No prob my friend! The Classic series/AV are the ones with the vintage necks!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                    I would go for the Cray.

Yeah,i think i may just go for that one!!!

Comment

Yeah, it's all about the bridge I think. Who doesn't upgrade bits and pieces on a Strat?
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Here's my old Cray in two of its configurations...

Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Another vote for the Cray...here's mine and I think it's a great guitar for the $$$

Comment

Sweet!!!!!

Comment

It depends on the music you play. If you like blues go for the Cray.

Comment

Working...
                              X