Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA-Made Fender "Sleepers" they are still out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA-Made Fender "Sleepers" they are still out there.

Let's talk about the other solid body guitars Fender made throughout the years. And discuss why they failed to be succesfull. In the early nineties "Sleeper" guitars like the Jazzmaster, Jaguar, the Duo Sonic and the Mustang suddenly became the next big thing when bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth and Nirvana used them to great effect.

But there still are sleepers in Fender's catalog, U.S.A. made guitars that escaped the vintage hype and can still be had for a cool price.

The Fender Lead 3

The Fender Bronco

The Fender Musicmaster 2

The Fender Bullet.

To be honest, I really don't like any of Fender's melted strats. All they do is change the shape a bit, use a different bridge and pickup configuration. They all look like toys to me.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Wow never seen a lead 3 before!

That looks sweeter than a strat!

Son Of Spy
      1976 Gibson Mk53
      1988 Charvel Model 3
      1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
        To be honest, I really don't like any of Fender's melted strats. All they do is change the shape a bit, use a different bridge and pickup configuration. They all look like toys to me.
        My feelings exactly, Zeeg. The Lead 3 doesn't look too bad but the others....I'll pass.

Comment

The Fender HM. They all say made in USA but only some actually were. I am fortunate to own an actual US Fender HM. They sell on ebay for about $300 to $400. Most true Fender guys hate them and assume that it's just a Fender version of a Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez (insert your 80s metal guitar here) but the truth is, Fender combined some really cool classic Fender specs and added the ability to shred. The secret of how great these guitars are is seeping out. The 1st gen has an s/s/h combo. The singles are great Fender classic p'ups and the Humbucker is Dimarzio. Added to all that is a coil split for the Humbucker. It's the only guitar I own that really can go back and forth between the hardcore stuff and the traditional rock stuff.
          Even if they never get the respect that I think they deserve they certainly are great guitars.

Comment

The only HMs that were made in USA say, "Made in USA" on the headstock. All the others are made in Japan. How many times do we have to go thru this?!?..............

Comment

I have never seen a first generation HM say made in USA on the headstock. I have also heard weird stuff about only HM's in black or white were MIA and only the HM's from 91-92. As far as I know, the only way to tell whether a first gen HM was made in the US is by the starting letter of the serial #. As for that matter, I have heard several different stories about the body woods of the HM.
              As for how many times we have to go through this, I don't know how many times it's been for you but I have never heard anything of what you are saying and I have been researching these guitars for the better part of a year. About the only thing I can establish is that there is a huge amount of misinformation on these guitars.

Comment

I had a friend who was very good back in 82 who had a lead 3. That was a high end fender at the time, he had a great sound with it.
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

My first electric was a Lead III back in 82 or 83. Mine was cherry sunburst with white pg and pups. They were about $400-500 iirc. Tried to pull an EVH on it later and ruined the body. Still got the neck, tho.

Comment

The Jaguar is my favorite body shape of all time. Fits perfect. It has a unique sound. The Jazzmaster is a close second. Maybe they didn't take off because of to many switches and options. Players felt they needed something straight forward. Thus, the Tele and Strat. I also had a USA Made HM Strat like the one above. Not a bad guitar. I just got sick of the pink color after awhile
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I would LOVE to find a clean Lead III for cheap. I also wouldn't mind one of those Bullets to set up for slide. Materials and parts were the same as the upper end models of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Acidhouse View Post
                        I have never seen a first generation HM say made in USA on the headstock. I have also heard weird stuff about only HM's in black or white were MIA and only the HM's from 91-92. As far as I know, the only way to tell whether a first gen HM was made in the US is by the starting letter of the serial #. As for that matter, I have heard several different stories about the body woods of the HM.
                        As for how many times we have to go through this, I don't know how many times it's been for you but I have never heard anything of what you are saying and I have been researching these guitars for the better part of a year. About the only thing I can establish is that there is a huge amount of misinformation on these guitars.
                        Yesterday, at the local pawnshop they had a HM Strat with a Kahler LFR. It had that ghey STRAT lettering and it wasn't priced yet. This had a rattle can paint job and just an EMG hum. The neck felt awful. I did a little research on these and went back there today to see if they priced it. They did. $589 on Sale for $399. They know I'm a buyer, but when the guy asked if I would take, I said NOOOOOOOOO. It was a POS.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I believe the real sleeper of the Fender line is the YJM Strat.
                          I've owned 3 of them over the years and they really are different- the stacked hums create a lively response and the scalloped neck to me is far superior to their regular necks. Big frets too. The only drawback in my eyes is the lack of a locking trem. Yngwie has stated "a properly setup Fender 2 point trem will stay in tune..." bullshit. I've seen him live and even though he mostly aviods dive bombs, I've seen firsthand where he does- and the guitar is out until he takes it off and gives it to his tech.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Strat God Music
                          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Yeah, Yngwie was constantly tuning while playing when I saw him.

Comment

Working...
                            X