I had almost gone a whole year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had almost gone a whole year....

Without buying any guitar stuff (with the exception of picks/strings of course), after getting my DK2M last April (ish?)...

I was looking around at basses and almost went for a Squier Vintage Modified J-bass (Sexy, and goes well with the DK2M).. my local GC had the P-bass version for me to try.. yeah, it was acceptable by my standards, but this Curbow 5-string (Cort) plays much nicer and has a pretty nice pickup system, for only 50 bucks more than the Squier woulda cost me, I couldn't say no

wow, that's interesting. Looks good.

How is the bridge? Does it being angled cause any problems? When you're setting intonation, do you have to lower the saddle height as you moved the saddle forward, otherwise your action would rise
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Hmm that's an interesting thought that didn't occur to me.
      The intonation is good enough off the wall that I'm not going to go and tweak it just yet. It's possible that the saddle height may need some adjustment when doing intonation but it looks like the angle isn't that bad.
      I think the bridge looks pretty slick, and solid at least.
      I didn't notice this until just now but the way the neck is bolted on is really interesting, too-- the neck goes all the way to the pickup.
      I saw that it was bolted pretty deep when I looked at the back in the store, but I didn't notice how it was from the front until just now.

This bass is solid, tight, and sounds great for 300 bucks.
      My only complaints are that with this tiny body it's neck heavy and the contour next to the lower cutaway is really hard to groove onto my right leg...

Comment

You made a great choice my friend! one of the other bass players in the school band has a Curbow 5 and it is great also. The Bartolloni (spelling?) pickup is great. i love how it can switch from active to passive with that mini toggle. As for the neck I noticed the same thing about how weirdly it is bolted on to the body. I've taken a liking to calling it a "Bolt-thru" As for the leg thing I find that playing it in the classical position
        (with the body resting between your legs, like a Rhoads V) helps. Once again great choice and good luck with it Bro BTW what type of wood is that fretboard? Ebony?

Comment

Actually the freboard is Ebonol, some synthetic material.. sure looks slick anyway.
          And it turns out the body is not even wood, it's one of these luthite things. Purists might not be so big on non-wood guitars/basses, but what the hell, this things sounds alright to me and it's freakin cool

Comment

Nobody ever said guitars HAD to be made of wood...it's just a silly tradition I guess.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
            X