Custom Dreams Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Dreams Guitars

Does anyone remember Custom Dreams guitars? They were built in NJ in the late 80's. I bought one in '87 that was painted by Klein (he did alot of Kramer graphics) with a Marilyn Monroe graphic...which was then stolen in the fall of '88. I remember it as being very Charvel-like in its look and feel, so I bought it at Hollowoods in Pittsburgh while out looking for a used Charvel. It was a great guitar.
    The only pro that I recall using these was Dave Sabo in Skid Row...he had a green one with a snake graphic that eventually got another neck (Kramer I believe).
    Any info that anyone may have would be appreciated...thanks!

Hey, I'm in Pittsburgh, and frequent Hollowood. I probably cam across that guitar, there, but can't recall. Got any pics prior to the theft?
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
      Hey, I'm in Pittsburgh, and frequent Hollowood. I probably cam across that guitar, there, but can't recall. Got any pics prior to the theft?
      I have one. I'll scan and post this week.

Comment

Custom Dreams Guitars were sold out of Garden State Music in Tom's River, NJ. Dennis Kline (http://www.myspace.com/no1airbrusher) would do their graphics. He was also the Kramer graphics guy.

Snake Sabo was actually an employee there and I heard a rumor that Rachel Bolan was too. Zakk Wylde's shattered glass LP was a Custom Dreams guitar as well.

Coolest music store back in the 80s for a kid from Philadelphia. It was worth the two hour drive.

Comment

I have looked for info on these on the net and have come up with NOTHING! A local music store in my area (Hermie's Music) sold them for a second. A friend of mine (who later moved to Colorado (IIRC) and I never heard from him again) bought a bengal finished/single hum(SD JB)/floyd/upside down pointy headstock Custom Dreams and it was KILLER! I had the opportunity to have possession of this guitar for at least 6 months, so I kenw it pretty well. The neck seemed like a Chandler to me and the finish work/setup was OUTSTANDING and eaisly was as good as the ESPs and Charvel/Jacksons of the time. In fact it might have been better setup and sounding than the Jacksons of the time IIRC. Anyway I was curious about these but there is no info. FYI this was back around '86/'87 IIRC.

Comment

Hermie's in Albany Ny?They didn't have much last time I was there
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Hermie's in Albany Ny?They didn't have much last time I was there
              Nah, there hasn't been a Hermie's in Albany for many years! This was Hermie's in Schenectady...

Comment

Originally posted by tortfeaser View Post
                .... I heard a rumor that Rachel Bolan was too.
                I think it was Scotti - they both used to teach at the same store....
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by thebisch View Post
                  Nah, there hasn't been a Hermie's in Albany for many years! This was Hermie's in Schenectady...
                  I was just there yesterday.

Comment

Snake's Custom Dreams guitar with added Kramer neck:

Zakk's Custom Dreams guitar:

Back in the day you could design your own guitar (necks, bodies, floyds, etc), and get a cool graphic as well by Kline. I remember being there once and listening to a tape that was left in a four track recorder. The sales rep came up to me (Snake Sabo) and asked if I liked the tape. He said it was his band and they were called Skid Row. I blew him off and said something like, "yeah you sound great," and went back to my friends to tell them that his band had no shot. Little did I know...

Comment

Ahh the 80's...

Comment

Here is one on the bay.

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
                          When I bought my Marilyn graphic one at Hollowoods, they had two others...one just like this and a bengal as described earlier in this thread.
                          Great info so far...I'll try to get my pic up tonight.

Comment

I remember these. I always thought they were Chandler parts with cool graphics.

Comment

I finally got around to scanning the pic of my old Marilyn graphic:

Comment

Working...
                              X