Little Help............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Help............

Just looking to ease my paranoia regarding my GLP Zakk Wlyde custom.....It's weird because it seems to have the hardware from an EPI (HZ's & such)...anyway there's a pic in my "just saying hello" thread in general discussion and the serial is 02005466, can add more pics if needed and any info would be greatly appreciated...........
    I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Im no Gibson expert ...but I believe that Zakk Wylde models start with a ZW serial number....have different knobs than the one in your picture...I also think EMG HZ's are not the right pickups...and the neck (although i cant tell form your picture) should be unfinished

Comment

The neck is unfinished, and the HZ's I've always found in the EPI model in my research........as for the serial....??????......not having much luck finding info......the knobs, 3-way switch, truss rod cover, basically all the hardware is a match to the Epiphone but it has a Gibson headstock.......there is also some discolouration on the body & headstock binding, as well as one of the tuning pegs.........
      I shall ease my paranoia or justify it either way...........

Comment

Get close ups of the front and back of the headstock as well as back of neck and top of neck. The Gibson logo in the pic is hard to see well and looks odd, but that could just be the pic. You can also post pics of the axe on the LP Forum and ask their expertise as well. Don't freak until you have a reason to.
        chuck
        "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Here you go....left 'em huge so maybe they'll help more........
          Not freakin'......even if it is fake the look, tone and playability still make it worth what I paid for it (another cause for paranoia)......
          .....oh yeah the nut was busted (haHA) when I got it, but rather than deal with the hassle I just slapped a cheapo plastic one in it's place for playability.........

Comment

Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
            Don't freak until you have a reason to.
            Wise words!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Assuming this ebay auction is for a 'real' ZW (and I'm guessing it is), the "ZW" being in the serial number is correct.

There are a lot of inconsistancies in your guitar. The size and shape of the inlay on the headstock, what the trus rod cover says, the color of the 'zakk' guy on the back, yours has a 'rhythm/treble' thing around the pickup selector, the pickups, the more white color, the serial #, etc. Also the fingerboard should be ebony...is yours darkened rosewood?

Also, in this thread, people mention the serial number and made in usa aren't as dark and distinct (as yours is), as they are more painted over on real gibsons

Comment

All things I've noticed.....as for the fretboard......I'm no expert but it looks darker than the rosewood on any of my 3 RR3 necks........
                http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-SHOP-ZAKK-WYLDE-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ110090002677QQihZmd4[/quote

Comment

oops....ignore the link......helpful but not the guitar we're discussing

Comment

There are no binding nibs. Unless the guitar was refretted there should be nibs. These got ebony boards as well. That one is definitely rosewood. Headstock shape is right, but the custom inlay is wrong. Gibson inlay is close, but the "o" is wrong. There shouldn'r be gold screws holding the pup rings on, just gold adjusting screws. Just my observations. Here is the Gibson link with a scalable picture that you can use for comparison....

Before I would call it a fake, I would check with Gibson on that serial number. They will verify it if it is. Perhaps it is an older model that had some different specs. The body looks right by my eye as far as shape and the bullseye looks correct as well. Inlays on the body are right . Perhaps it is an Epi with a new neck? Just a guess.

chuck

Comment

After postin more pics...I think is a fake...but if it palys well who cares

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                        Assuming this ebay auction is for a 'real' ZW (and I'm guessing it is), the "ZW" being in the serial number is correct.

There are a lot of inconsistancies in your guitar. The size and shape of the inlay on the headstock, what the trus rod cover says, the color of the 'zakk' guy on the back, yours has a 'rhythm/treble' thing around the pickup selector, the pickups, the more white color, the serial #, etc. Also the fingerboard should be ebony...is yours darkened rosewood?

Also, in this thread, people mention the serial number and made in usa aren't as dark and distinct (as yours is), as they are more painted over on real gibsons
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65774
                        The axe in that auction is legitimate based on all the pics. It's a perfect example.

chuck

Comment

Looks fake to me, sorry to say. Same overstamped serial as was on the other fake recently posted here.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

is there is a clear coating over the back of that neck or is that raw wood?
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              is there is a clear coating over the back of that neck or is that raw wood?
                              Off topic alert..

I love your avatar man! Roscoe and Flash!!

chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X