The return of an old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return of an old friend

I have the bad habit of taking guitars apart and selling the parts and regretting it afterwards.

This is my heavily modified 1998 Squier Affinity Telecaster.

Last year I sold my black Stagg tele but the man who wanted to buy it said that he wanted a proper tele neck on it and asked me if I had one lying around, so I took my striped Squier tele and took the neck off. And sold that one along with the black tele.

I glued the Stagg neck on my striped tele but it never felt right, it just was a mis-match. Then the body of my Striped tele got damaged when I tried to take the neck off again, a BIG chip of wood came off the neckpocket. Fearing that I had ruined my tele, I took it apart and used titebond glue and two component filler to repair the damage.

But because of many things happening I had to postpone a full retauration, I eventually used the bridge and pickup to modify my Squier 51 which I sold on, so all that was left was the body, the tortoise shell pickguard and the switchplate with the three way switch and volume and tone pots still intact.

But then I learned that the guy to which I sold the black tele with the neck from my Striped tele had replaced that neck with a Japanese Fender neck and that I could buy the neck back if I wanted to. So today I got the original neck back, along with a three barrel top loading bridge.

So I rerouted the neck pocket, put the pickguard back on, put in one of the humbuckers that came from my Samick Explorer (which now has EMG humbuckers) in the neck position, and a Fender Japan Tele bridge pickup at the bridge, wired it all up and my Striped tele was back.

It felt so good to have that familiar look of that striped body and feel of that particullar neck put together again. The guitar differs from the photograph by having a three saddle bridge, Gibson "Bell" knobs and a normal tele bridge single coil pickup right now.

I'm glad to have my tele back.

Congrats, dude!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thats a convluted tale fer sure dude! Glad it's back in one piece again.

chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
        I glued the Stagg neck on my striped tele but it never felt right, it just was a mis-match. Then the body of my Striped tele got damaged when I tried to take the neck off again, a BIG chip of wood came off the neckpocket.
        I've never heard of gluing on necks on Teles. I love Tele's and I have your typical bolt on version. what's the story with these, you can glue on a neck and still you're taking it off later?

I just haven't heard of doing Teles that way before. I know there are some setneck Teles, but that's different and more what I understand as a glued in neck, ie, it's not moving.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
        X