Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Warmoth! (LOTS of pixx)

Hi fellows,
    George from kramerforum.com here. I posted this on the KF as well, but I know there are quite a few Warmoth enthusiasts on here too, so I thought I would share this with you.

Here's a description of a Warmoth project I completed recently. Some folks don't consider Warmoth the best product for the price, but I've always found their parts fit together like a glove. For this project, I wanted to get a guitar with the ballsy tone of a Les Paul in a superstrat. I love how a Dimarzio Super Distortion sounds in a Les Paul. I also had a set of gold hardware, and I knew I would be using it. In addition, I was curious about trying out an R2 neck with a boatneck profile, the chunkiest neck Warmoth offers. Aside from this, I did not have any requirements--and kept scouting the Warmoth Showcase for discounted parts. One of my goals for this project was to keep costs low--it is too easy to spend way over a thousand on a Warmoth. Instead, I vowed to use the parts I had on hand, and buy only the neck, body, and humbucker.

In late December, I spotted "greenie," a finished mahogany body for $270; I also bought a plain maple/maple neck, boatneck, 1 5/8 at the nut, for $150. Concurrently I ordered a Dimarzio Super Distortion from SameDayMusic for $59 shipped. Let the project begin!

One of my goals was to photgraph the project at every stage. Here I layed out most of the tools and parts I'd be using for the job.

The humbucker arrived. I already had a Warmoth H-x-S pickguard and decided to use the Dimarzio in conjunction with a Duncan "Hot Stack" in the neck. I believe Brad Gillis plays Hot Stacks in the lead position too.

Let the wiring begin! I am using a push-pull pot to tap the bridge humbucker, as well as the Hot Stack, for a total of 4 different tones. The switch is ON-OFF-ON.

My kitchen/soldering battlestation. Kellogg's Corn Flakes..they are grrreat!

The wiring harness is complete.

Pickguard loaded.

Abstract art..not too klean, but I like it!

The neck and body have arrived at work!

Cool..

Going crazy with anticipation

Nice!! :thumbsup

At home--getting the drill ready. Putting a little marker on the bit is critical.

Got the pickguard and input holes drilled.

Beveling fret ends with handy Stew-Mac tool.

Rolling fretboard / fret ends while watching G3. If only I were a tenth as good as these guys!

000 Steel Wool before Gunstock Oil.

Making a harness for maneuvering or hanging the neck while it's painted.

Applying Birchwood-Casey's Gunstock oil and wax--same as Ernie Ball guitars. Thanks for the tip. Mike W from VintageKramer! In all, I had applied 4 coats over 2 days. Steel wool between applications.
    Last edited by AimingHigh; 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM.

While the neck is drying..got the pickguard on and wired the input jack.

Got the springs on.

After waiting a full day after the final coat, steel wool and final neck buffing.

Drilled tuner holes! The end is in sight.

...and the nut.

Installing the nut and the tuners.

Got the Warmoth logo on...why not.

The string retainer is installed--shot of the headstock after first assembly and stringing.

Nice!

Ready to frighten the neighbors!

The verdict: this was an easy Warmoth project and I was able to complete it quickly, and fairly cheaply. The playability is awesome--I am really digging the huge round neck! I might get some sanding sealer on the fretboard, as it's starting to turn a nice grey color already. Tonally, it does not sound a Les Paul--instead, it has a very bighting sound, due to the big maple neck. In the future, I'll be scouting Warmoth for a mahogany neck with an ebony or maple fretboard--I think that's the key to sonic bliss!
    Thanks for reading, bros.

George

Comment

Great Axe. I love doing projects. I have a green/gold floyded strat made from Claim parts, a now gone german manufacturer.

The green is for the money, the gold is for the honey.

What´s this fretboard rolling thing?

Comment

very cool.

Warmoth makes great stuff.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

awesome! came out real good. Can you please elaborate on the work you did to the fret ends? What stew-mac tool is that? And what was the next step, rolling the edges? Waht do you mean by that?

I have heard warmoth necks come with the frets sticking out, that's why I have just bought fender necks. Maybe a warmoth neck for my next one?

Comment

Glad you guys like! This is my third Warmoth project and honestly their fret ends aren't as bad as folks say. Only some minor fretwork needs to be done. Most importantly, all the frets are always level and glued in properly; the ends may need to be filed a little bit, to taste.
            Here's a link to the awesome Stewmac fret beveling tool:

It's basically a file attached to a plastic block.

There's probably a more professional method to rounding the fretboard edges--here I used a Dremel with one of their polishing attachments. It's basically a wheel of steel wool on a Dremel.

George

Comment

Nice work George! The guitar looks great!!!

The Warmoth Boatneck is the stuff, ain't it?

Comment

Nice job, I love Warmoth stuff, wtg!
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

that came out great....nice job.

One question tho..why take so much paint off for the pickguard holes??
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Nice, that looks great!
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                      that came out great....nice job.

One question tho..why take so much paint off for the pickguard holes??
                      If I had to guess, he hadn't cleaned the wood shavings from drilling before he took that pic. Sweet project guitar though.
                      My gear
                      87 Charvel Model 6
                      86 Charvel Model 4
                      93 Jackson RR EX
                      93 Jackson Kelly STD
                      88 Ibanez RG560
                      99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                      Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. I love threads like this.
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

nice build, love seeing the progress pics.
                          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Very cool. Great pictures too btw

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Working...
                              X