Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Custom Shop Thoughts??

Howdy -

I'm considering becoming a Gibson Custom Shop dealer and I'm curious what you guys think about these guitars. The buy in certainly isn't cheap, so I want to feel confident the guitars will move.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Matt
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

They are over priced...but most have killer tone and hold value..I say go for it Matt!!! I'm sure you must have reservations about the "no advertising my stock and price" thing though..

Comment

Well you will carry a line of guitars that will bring you lots and lots of business. I have heard that the buy in is very considerable + you have to carry X amount of other Gibson items. Will they be friendly to you also carrying a FMIC line?

There are some very well established Gibson CS dealers. If you are willing to handle all the extra pressure carrying Gibson will bring(I could see it doubling your phone traffic, after word gets out). I think with your Customer service, you could have a big winner in the Gibson line. Remember those Gibson Les Paul guys can be a HUGE pain in the ass, worst than any of us JCF guys when it comes to service.
      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Don't get caught up in thr 'reissue LP' thing. I just bought a 2006 R-9 for 5k and it's nothing special.
        Strat God Music
        http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
          Remember those Gibson Les Paul guys can be a HUGE pain in the ass, worst than any of us JCF guys when it comes to service.
          Who me:ROTF:

I love my Gibsons but I'm done with 4 LPs and 2 SGs. I think I got very lucky with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
            Don't get caught up in thr 'reissue LP' thing. I just bought a 2006 R-9 for 5k and it's nothing special.
            Sorry to here about your luck. My $2.5K R0 is awesome, and will always be my #1.

Comment

I say go for it. While I agree that they are way overpriced, they are nice instruments and there is a sizable market. I think you could do well with the Gibson line.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Sorry to here about your luck. My $2.5K R0 is awesome, and will always be my #1.
                +1,
                There's a dramatic difference between the Standards I've played and my R7. Of course the fact that I paid less than half of what an R9 goes for allows me to say that. I believe the R9s (sounds like you bought a Murphy) are renowned because of the great tops, and the fact that the builder hand picks the best 59s. He ages the top AFTER he plays the 59s coming off the line.

I think the RIs are worth every penny, but not at what MusicFriend sells them at.

The long neck tenon makes a big difference in Les Pauls. I've actually seen the guts of a set neck on a Standard, and it ain't pretty. How much tone and resonance does a huge amount of glue soak up? Compare that the the long tenon on a RI. No glue.

The only problem, as I see it, Matt, is that Gibsons are so popular that many dealers will undercut the going rate.

If you'd like, PM me and I can tell you how much I just bought a brand new VOS R7 for.
                Last edited by danastas; 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
                  Howdy -

I'm considering becoming a Gibson Custom Shop dealer and I'm curious what you guys think about these guitars. The buy in certainly isn't cheap, so I want to feel confident the guitars will move.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Matt
                  Last I heard CS min. order was like 10 guitars or something? That's reasoneable. Probably sell 10 Customs a year in your sleep. But, do you really want to get into bed with Gibson? Man, they just crank out soo many junkers. Just don't forget to read that sticker on the top of the box "all unauthorized dealer returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee". Look how many big Gibson dealers have (to have) in house "remanufacturing shops" just to deal with bad Gibbo's. Replacing nuts, recutting bridges, reattaching binding, remounting crooked bridge posts, retouching paintwork. Gotta love the ridicurous pricing and no pics policies....

Then there's the people that are buying Gibson CS...most that I know are pretty picky bastards that don't shine to the gimmicky spin. Nothing like the USA crowd....spend the $1500 and run around all tingly cause they got a Gibson (even tho it's got an off axis bridge and a bad fret job). Who turns over $4900 for a '59 and don't scutinize the HELL out of the thing during that 48 hour evaluation period. Get ready for a lot of send backs!

The upside..opens up a whole new market for you and makes the PRS sitting next to it look like it was made by magic super precise elves. Really tho, what's the worst that could happen..you just blow them out cheap at the end of the year.

Just get used to saying "I got a pretty decent Gibson with a bad nut job and crooked posts...I can give 20% off on it. You'll take it, great! That will be one arm and one leg....cash, check or charge"
                  Last edited by Jeff Albertson; 02-27-2007, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson View Post
                    Last I heard CS min. order was like 10 guitars or something? That's reasoneable. Probably sell 10 Customs a year in your sleep. But, do you really want to get into bed with Gibson? Man, they just crank out soo many junkers. Just don't forget to read that sticker on the top of the box "all unauthorized dealer returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee". Look how many big Gibson dealers have (to have) in house "remanufacturing shops" just to deal with bad Gibbo's. Replacing nuts, recutting bridges, reattaching binding, remounting crooked bridge posts, retouching paintwork. The there's the ridicurous pricing and no pics policies....

Then there's the people that are buying Gibson CS...most that I know are pretty picky bastards that don't shine to the gimmicky spin. Nothing like the USA crowd....spend the $1500 and run around all tingly cause they got a Gibson (even tho it's got an off axis bridge and a bad fret job). Who turns over $4900 for a '59 and don't scutinize the HELL out of the thing during that 48 hour evaluation period. Get ready for a lot of send backs!

The upside..opens up a whole new market for you and makes the PRS sitting next to it look like it was made by magic super precise elves. Really tho, what's the worst that could happen..you just blow them out cheap at the end of the year.

Just get used to saying "I got a pretty decent Gibson with a bad nut job and crooked posts...I can give 20% off on it. You'll take it, great! That will be one arm and one leg....cash, check or charge"

Well, think of it this way, if you're a buy, replacing the nut on a Gibson will actually improve the guitar. They use cheap plastic crap. At least on my Jackson custom it's bone.

Comment

Matt, have you thought about stocking Fender custom guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                        Well, think of it this way, if you're a buy, replacing the nut on a Gibson will actually improve the guitar. They use cheap plastic crap. At least on my Jackson custom it's bone.
                        People want their RI Les Paul to look and sound like a 1959 Les Paul. If a 1959 had a plastic nut, people would complain if they didn't get a plastic nut. 1959 LP has plastic inlays. People would complain if you put in MOP inlays. You get what you get because people voted with their $$$'s and Gibson gave it to them (laughing all the way to the bank).

My #1 LP is just a cheap GC R0 plaintop. No Murphy (not for $2.5K). But it sounds and plays awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          People want their RI Les Paul to look and sound like a 1959 Les Paul. If a 1959 had a plastic nut, people would complain if they didn't get a plastic nut. 1959 LP has plastic inlays. People would complain if you put in MOP inlays. You get what you get because people voted with their $$$'s and Gibson gave it to them (laughing all the way to the bank).

My #1 LP is just a cheap GC R0 plaintop. No Murphy (not for $2.5K). But it sounds and plays awesome.

Wow, great burst on that. Very soft and subtle, unlike most of them.

I love my R7. Can't beat it for tone. I wish it were a little more out front like my Soloist, but I get some amazing sounds out of it.

Do you own any LP Standards? Have you put them up against your historic?

Comment

Off course then there's the hill-billies that spend all their cash on them "fancy-pants stringed-up woodun gitanjos"....instead of shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Albertson View Post
                              Off course then there's the hill-billies that spend all their cash on them "fancy-pants stringed-up woodun gitanjos"....instead of shoes.

Gibson Custom Shop makes amazing guitars. I got to play a Slash LP at the Gibson trailer at a guitar a few months back and WHAT A GUITAR. Be ready to finance a lot though...

Comment

Working...
                              X