No announcement yet.

John5 Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Tele purist and that thing is an abortion.

I like the classic looking one in the video though.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I like it.......... a lot.....
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

In defense of the Strat head, John5 does stuff behind the nut a lot, I’m not really sure how well spaced the standard tele head is compared to the strat so that may have been the reasoning behind using one instead of the other.

As for the rest of it… bleh, I don’t like middle pups at all, and I wouldn’t put one of those old school trems on anything. If given I would take it, but I don’t think it would get much play.
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          john, have you ever heard him play? he can play his ass off, to say the very least. check this video out:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

sully

He's ok. That chicken pickin crap is REALLY easy to play. Probably the easiest style of soloing IMHO. I would loose the black finger nail polish. I also think his guitars look like ass. His tone in that video sounded like canned ass too. He sucks. John 5 is a gimmick. Sorry Sully.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I would loose the black finger nail polish. John 5 is a gimmick.
            Think about who he plays with for a moment

Comment

He's ok. That chicken pickin crap is REALLY easy to play. Probably the easiest style of soloing IMHO. I would loose the black finger nail polish. I also think his guitars look like ass. His tone in that video sounded like canned ass too. He sucks. John 5 is a gimmick. Sorry Sully.
              John 5 is also close friends with Steve Vai who has been quoted as saying

"John 5 is an underrated guitar giant. It's rare to hear a musician fuse various styles and create a unique blend and brand all of his own. It takes balls, but that's what's needed to be truly original."

But what would Vai about guitar playing?
              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

John 5 does not suck, he is not a gimmick and that guitar is ass ugly. The one is sully's link was damn cool, though.
                Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Wrong pups for a telly, but that's just my opinion.If I were to get a telly I want traditional they have a great tone of their own.
                  The few country players I've been around bend down on the strings above the nut to simulate a pedal steel sound, which by the way sounds pretty cool.More than one has told me that that's why the head was designed that way to give easier access to the strings for that technique.Don't know if it's really true or not but it does make sense and it certainly looks like it would be easier on the traditional than on a fat strathead

Comment

Steve Vai has also been quoted saying that "I heard Korn on the radio, and I like this new sound" many years ago...... hmmmpf. Vai is an amazing guitarist, but his opinion doesn't matter to me much anymore. John 5 is a decent guitarist. but
                    hasn't impressed me yet.

Comment

I call bullshit John. Chicken pickin' is so far from easy it's unreal. That shit is HARD.

But I would gladly hear some of your chicken pickin' since it is so easy.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I dunno, some chicken picking I've seen has looked pretty hard, some of the country stuff guys do, but that stuff that John5 was doing in that vid centered around the low E pentatonic is pretty much within my capability and thus I can't really consider it very difficult. and I'm hardly a shredder.

I just can't take Marilyn Manson music very seriously.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                          I dunno, some chicken picking I've seen has looked pretty hard, some of the country stuff guys do, but that stuff that John5 was doing in that vid centered around the low E pentatonic is pretty much within my capability and thus I can't really consider it very difficult. and I'm hardly a shredder.

I just can't take Marilyn Manson music very seriously.
                          +1 million.
                          I have heard some incredible chicken pickin. Roy Clark comes to mind. That dribble John 5 video is just that.. dribble.

Regarding Steve Vai's comments. I think Steve is one of the best guitarists that ever lived but I don't put much weight on his opinions on other guitar players.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            I call bullshit John. Chicken pickin' is so far from easy it's unreal. That shit is HARD.

But I would gladly hear some of your chicken pickin' since it is so easy.
                            Tim.. John 5 couldn't shine my frikkin shoes based on the stuff I have heard. Maybe you can come up with John 5 examples that sounds good but everything I heard from him sounds pretty basic and pretty boring.
                            The bands he has been in suck, the songs he writes or co-writes suck and his guitar solo's suck. Oh yea.. his studio tone sucks, his live tone sucks and his guitars are uglier than a bag of assholes.
                            Am I bitter... yea.. a little. It pisses me of when hacks have totally solid endorsement deals that are based on gimmicks instead of talent.
                            I must be old school or something. To me... great players include:

Malmsteen
                            Macalpine
                            Roth
                            Vai
                            Lynch
                            Becker
                            Gilbert
                            Hendrix
                            Beck
                            Dimeola
                            etc.... you get the idea.

Great writers include:

Page
                            Gilmour
                            Richards
                            Iommi
                            Young
                            Hendrix
                            etc.... you get the idea.

All the above players (and many more) all deserve respect and any endorsement they want. Should John 5 be included in these lists with these guitar players and writers. Fuck no. Thats my point.

John 5 would have never made it in the 80's and his guitars are horrible. Especially the ones a few years back with that ass ugly headstock.
                            Made me want to puke.

Comment

Oh yea.. and one more thing. Give me some examples of kick ass John 5 playing. I am always open to listening to great guitar playing or great writing. I may be a bitter old prick but I still have an open mind when it comes to guitar playing. Not too long ago I thought that Opeth sucked. Man was I wrong. Damnation is one of my favorite albums.
                              Enlighten me oh John 5 fans!!

Comment

I gotta agree there...

Comment

Working...
                                X