Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dean Hardtail select, keep it or sell it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Hardtail select, keep it or sell it?

I got a dean hardtail select made in Korea year and half ago. I paid $500 for it on eBay. Made in Korea, 24 frets, AAA maple top (not 100% sure about the maple top but its stunning nevertheless), Mahogany body, set neck, etc. Its even got coil-split humbuckers. The tone of this guitar is just amazing. If you've ever listened to Michael Angelo batio's playing on 'hands without shadows', its gives out exactly that tone thru my 5150.

But however much I try to love the guitar, I end up attempting to sell it. I have tried to list on EBay a few times but the bidding never went more than $315. On Craigslist, no one would offer even $400. Does anyone own this guitar? Why isnt it popular? The construction is top-notch. the frets are medium jumbo (I think) and pretty good quality. The heel-less set-neck is amazing and you can reach the higher frets with ease. its got great sustain (better than the slsmg) and for some reason, sounds great with 10 - 46's at standard or drop-C tuning. Its not as light as the slsmg but not heavy as a LP either.

Convince me if I should keep this guitar or sell it. Is it worth keeping it? Will it just keep going down in price?

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ksreera/...804267557250/0

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ksreera/...804267576754/1

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ksreera/...804267585605/2
    Last edited by emperor_black; 03-08-2007, 02:37 AM.
    Sam

Not too many people like deans except for the dimebag ones. They don't sell well on ebay new or used. I do like the hardtails but I have never owned one.

Comment

dean select models are good i have a selct ML v and almost bought a cadillac select at the same time...both awesome guitars and play really damn good...nice sound too...very few faults with my v...just one buzz on one string at one fret..thats it...good quality

Comment

What's the problem. If it's so good, keep it. You'll never get any where near what you paid for it. Almost everything bought new will continue to depreciate as it gets older. Some things eventually begin to go back up in value as they become collectors items, but that's the exception rather than the rule.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It might be a great guitar, but that doesn't mean you must love it, or keep it.

Zeegler is right though, you'll be hard pressed to find someone that'll pay $500 for it, considering what else you can get for the same price. A used korean made dean hardtail has just about everything going against it that a used guitar can, unfortunately.

Put it back up again with a set price of $500 and accept offers. Expect to see offers between $300 and $400 though. People go to Ebay to, "find a deal", not to buy used stuff at new prices, even if it is in 100% pristine condition.

Just my $0.02

Steve
          Guitars:
          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

I had a mint trans red one, bought new for $469 w/nice hard case, sold it on ebay last Dec for $400. They do have great specs and such and I set it up to be a great player (the nut slots weren't deep enough so the strings were high at the nut, so had to fix that) , but still couldn't 'bond' with it.

So I know exactly what you are saying, great specs and such, but its not a 'keeper'. I'd say sell now as it will keep getting lower in price.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
              I had a mint trans red one, bought new for $469 w/nice hard case, sold it on ebay last Dec for $400. They do have great specs and such and I set it up to be a great player (the nut slots weren't deep enough so the strings were high at the nut, so had to fix that) , but still couldn't 'bond' with it.

So I know exactly what you are saying, great specs and such, but its not a 'keeper'. I'd say sell now as it will keep getting lower in price.
              ok. Then I WILL sell it asap. Thanks!
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                24 frets
                22 frets.

If it's something you're not playing all the time and you can't justify keeping it around, then sell it. Though, if it plays well and has great tone, you may do better to keep it around, play another guitar for awhile, then come back to it and rediscover it again.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, 22 frets. LOL.

Well, that's what I usually do. I have a slsmg which I play for 2 or 3 days, wipe it clean, put it in the case, take out this one from the case. I have only two guitars now. But a DKMGT is on its way!
                  Sam

Comment

I had a Dean, what used to be called the EVO Phantom and is now the EVO Noir. Black finish, black hardware, beautiful rosewood board, stock blade humbuckers. I sold it to the rhythm guitarist in a band we share our practice space with, and although I see him playing it (through an amp he bought from me too), I never had a chance to play it again until last weekend.

Holy crap, I was an idiot for selling that guitar. With all stock hardware and pickups, it sounds amazing.
                    sigpic

Comment

For future refeernce:

Think of guitars like cars. The moment you leave the store its value goes down the tubes. Likewise dont expect to get much selling it to a dealer or trading it to the dealer, as they have to resell it.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                        For future refeernce:

Think of guitars like cars. The moment you leave the store its value goes down the tubes. Likewise dont expect to get much selling it to a dealer or trading it to the dealer, as they have to resell it.
                        Hmm, not really the case all the time. fender highway 1 guitar prices have gone up since 4 years ago when I started playing guitar. they used to cost $550 or something and the last time I checked, they are selling for $750 on zzounds. I had got mine for $450 on eBay.
                        Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X